News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I write on behalf of a friend to see if anyone with more knowledge can help us answer, or understand, an issue with the enamel of a PLM he owns.

He has an early Godet PLM made from gold that he acquired some years ago. The piece has appeared on different websites like Detlev Niemann, Weitze, Andreas S Ising, etc.

As you can see from the photo, the enamel has a paste repair on the upper right arm. In 2015 and 2020 the cross did not show any additional damage or blemish. However, the enamel shows a chip under the second “e” in 2024.

I asked my friend if the cross had been subjected to some kind of force, pressure or hit, or extreme temperature changes, but he says he has kept it with his other stuff and treated with much care.

So, what may have caused this damage?

Could it occur naturally due to the age of enamel?

Any ideas will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

plmchip.jpg

On 18/05/2024 at 03:12, Stogieman said:

I can’t imagine what would cause that damage to appear like that. Any chance of getting a full, big picture of the front and back of that cross?

PHOTO-2019-02-17-12-21-56.jpgPHOTO-2019-02-17-12-21-56-1.jpg

Hi Stogieman,

We have the same problem with the enamel of most of our South African Honoris Crux decorations for Bravery.

They are the most common awards that got enamel damaged and seems like due to ageing.

Regards

Archie

IMG-20240520-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20210318-WA0035.jpg

IMG-20210318-WA0033.jpg

Good Morning , I wonder if this is a byproduct of the manufacturing process, perhaps impurities in the enamel itself? I used to collect pre WW2 Lionel trains. They went through a period during the 1930’s where the process of manufacturing frames and wheels had impurities that caused the individual pieces to literally fall apart and disintegrate. Maybe that’s what’s happening here?

A real shame though that a piece so expensive and desirable would come apart!!

Posted (edited)

The full big pictures are the old Weitze ones, don't think this will lead to anything. 

Interesting would be some actually shots. 

After I saw the topic here and at WAF I was wondering if this is some lightening issue or something real.

plmchip.jpg

Edited by Bernd_W

Posted (edited)
    12 hours ago, archie777 said:

Hi Stogieman,

We have the same problem with the enamel of most of our South African Honoris Crux decorations for Bravery.

They are the most common awards that got enamel damaged and seems like due to ageing.

Regards

Archie

Hello Archie, thanks for your reply. Very interesting your comment and photos about the possible degradation of enamel because of old age. Why does it happen? Are some enamels better than others? What external factors may accelerate this process?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Bernd_W said:

The full big pictures are the old Weitze ones, don't think this will lead to anything. 

Interesting would be some actually shots. 

After I saw the topic here and at WAF I was wondering if this is some lightening issue or something real.

plmchip.jpg

These are photos from 2023 and 2024

THENNOW.jpg

The cross has not been subjected to impact, pressure, wild temperature changes whatsoever. The cross was like this in 2023, and the flake on the enamel appeared all of the sudden in 2024 as shown in the photo. It is not light, nor a blemish. It is a real chip.The PLM is not mine. It is from a friend who lives in Germany. I am on the other side of the Atlantic, and this is the only photo I've got.

Thank you for your input.

Edited by GMU
    spelling correction

Hi GMU,

My personal thoughts are that the enamel waa not the best on the Honoris Crux decorations, because I saw too many with damaged enamel.

Regards

Archie

13 minutes ago, GMU said:

. It is not light, nor a blemish. It is a real chip.

You got me wrong. I don't doubt it's a real chip.

When talking about: "Could this be light?", I was talking about the area in the 2020 picture I circled in red in my last post. Was there some beginning of the damage in 2020 or is this only in the photo? From the 2023 picture, I would guess it's just light or an unevenness in enamel. 

But there is something new in the 2023 photo. It this the beginning of the damage, or just a shadow? Shape and place looks like the top of the 2024 damage. But could be a shadow. 

THENNOW (1).jpg

Posted (edited)
    2 hours ago, Bernd_W said:

You got me wrong. I don't doubt it's a real chip.

When talking about: "Could this be light?", I was talking about the area in the 2020 picture I circled in red in my last post. Was there some beginning of the damage in 2020 or is this only in the photo? From the 2023 picture, I would guess it's just light or an unevenness in enamel. 

But there is something new in the 2023 photo. It this the beginning of the damage, or just a shadow? Shape and place looks like the top of the 2024 damage. But could be a shadow. 

THENNOW (1).jpg

Oh, I see your point Bernd! Yes, it certainly looks in the 2023 photo that the damage was beginning to appear, although the position is slightly different. Perhaps, it was not obviously perceivable at that moment like it is now and was only captured through the photo. Interesting. I will let my friend know; perhaps, he has other 2023 photos that capture better any damage in that area.

However, still the question remains: why has the piece damaged if it has been kept with extreme care without being subjected to impact, pressure, temperature, etc.?

Thanks again.

Edited by GMU
    add more text