News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egypt: Order of Kamal awards 2024

In Egypt, Mother’s Day is on 21 March. As part of government celebrations, this is often the time when awards of the Order of Kamal, Second Class, are made to exemplary mothers. This year, the award ceremony was held a couple of months later, in May. Press reports give us some idea of typical recipients and what actions are deemed appropriate to warrant granting the medal.

This year, one “ideal mother” was selected from each of Egypt’s 26 governorates. Also, the monetary award associated with the medal was increased from 50,000 Egyptian pounds to 100,000 Egyptian pounds, probably to account for steady devaluation of the currency.

This article (https://www.vetogate.com/5158548) is one of several I found, with more photographs than some of the others. It’s in Arabic but is easily translated if you view the link in Google Chrome or put the text into an online translation tool.

3302445D-3F87-4D83-9D9E-8F1A157D3CD2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

This is a relatively scarce award for collectors. I have a 5th class which I have had for ages. I attach some images. No doubt the eagle/hawk suspension change as the various Republics proceed. 

Owain

PS I think the Kingdom's original issue is a more attractive piece.

Egypt Al Kemal Badge Obv.jpg

Egypt Al Kemal Badge Rev.jpg

Egypt Al Kemal Badge Susp.jpg

Egypt Al Kemal Mark Rev.jpg

Egypt Al Kemal Star Obv.jpg