News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GD Baden - Order of the Zähringer Lion 1. with Swords - D (Doublé) proof mark.

Hi Guys,

When I saw lot 211 in J Kube's auction 146 catalogue, an OZL 1st class with swords, I sent an email to Mr Kube asking whether there was a "D" stamp on the cylinder along with a sample picture taken from the 1st Class OZL in my collection.

The reply back was "Dear Sir: lot 211 has a stamp „D“ on the cylinder"

With this I thought great and went ahead and submitted my bids and was very pleased when I was successful.

Today I received the lots that I had had won and I have a few questions (The Kube OZL is in the middle of the 3 pictured for comparison).

When I compared the Doublé marks I was concerned to see that the one from Auction 146 was not similar to all the other marks I had seen previously mainly on Oakleaves.

Has any one seen a mark like this? Does the colour of the guiding look correct? Even with possible tarnishing I think it looks off.

Before reaching out to Mr Kube I would like to just get more of an understanding as to what this is.

Is it a freshly Gilted 2nd class with mark added to try to legitimize a Frankenstein

Or a real Silver Gilt 1st class that has a D mark from a different manufacturer

All opinions welcome

Guys

OZL 1.JPG

OZL 2.JPG

OZL 1. KlmS - D.JPG

OZL 1. KlmS - D - Kube.JPG

Oakleaves - D.JPG

I don't have a lot of experience with these, having owned only a few, including one first class with oakleaves, which were of the solid variety (marked for gold content). Your piece looks good to me.

Posted (edited)
    8 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

I don't have a lot of experience with these, having owned only a few, including one first class with oakleaves, which were of the solid variety (marked for gold content). Your piece looks good to me.

I have to agree with you Vince a good piece… the question is though whether it is a 2nd Class messed with to be a 1st Class with a spurious D gilt mark or a nice original 1st Class with a D gilt mark that is legit, that is the question.

I think possibly the former as I have never seen a D mark that wasn‘t raised and framed.

Has anyone seen this type of imprint D gilt marking on an OZL before?

Edited by Alan