News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for help with regardto following.A friend of mine has a Japanese officers sword,which he liberated from Singapore after the war.Unfortunately,it was slightly bent in transit,would anyone have any ideas,or are aware of anyone able to carry out straightening work.

Best regards.

Mike.

Looking for help with regardto following.A friend of mine has a Japanese officers sword,which he liberated from Singapore after the war.Unfortunately,it was slightly bent in transit,would anyone have any ideas,or are aware of anyone able to carry out straightening work.

Best regards.

Mike.

Mike,

Japanese swords have layers of hard and soft steel, and a tempered edge. Trying to straighten one would be tricky and in the process the sword could develop a crack during the process.

The first thing to do is know whether the sword is (1) historically important enough to justify having the work done, and (2) if it's an expensive item.

If it's a relatively cheap "Showa" or "Showa-gunto", or mass produced sword made for NCO's or officers who might not have been able to carry a family heirloom (more than two or three sons in the service and that could happen), then there's a way to do it at home.

Finish on Japanese swords is highly prized, but on a cheap one, you're not risking a great deal if you try getting two long blocks of a relatively soft well-seasoned wood without sap or moisture, putting the stripped down blade between the blocks and very slowly putting pressure on both sides towards the center at the same time.

You won't get the "kink" out entirely because bent metal often develops a "ridge" or line. Even when flattened out, there might be a slight shaow or discolored area in the metal due to it being flexed one way, and then back the other.

If the blade fits in the "saya" or scabbard without having to force it....I'd leave everything alone even if taking the blade out and putting it back over time has left a scuffed metal surface. Polishing the surface to remove any imperfection afterwards is always "iffy." The surface temper pattern and damascus type finish will be altered and you'll get whatever is under the surface, and possibly an entirely new pattern you (or collectors) might not like...or worse yet, carbon pockets, flaws, hidden breaks not seen on the surface, etc.

That doesn't say who to go to, but you might try contacting the commercial or cultural attache at the Japanese Embassy (or a consulate) and ask if they know of any sword shows "back home" and for people you could contact directly. If at all possible, try not to send the sword to Japan for any contemplated work. Most often swords get returned, but if a culturally important sword gets sent to Japan, there have been cases where it wasn't returned.

Les

Mike,

Japanese swords have layers of hard and soft steel, and a tempered edge. Trying to straighten one would be tricky and in the process the sword could develop a crack during the process.

The first thing to do is know whether the sword is (1) historically important enough to justify having the work done, and (2) if it's an expensive item.

If it's a relatively cheap "Showa" or "Showa-gunto", or mass produced sword made for NCO's or officers who might not have been able to carry a family heirloom (more than two or three sons in the service and that could happen), then there's a way to do it at home.

Finish on Japanese swords is highly prized, but on a cheap one, you're not risking a great deal if you try getting two long blocks of a relatively soft well-seasoned wood without sap or moisture, putting the stripped down blade between the blocks and very slowly putting pressure on both sides towards the center at the same time.

You won't get the "kink" out entirely because bent metal often develops a "ridge" or line. Even when flattened out, there might be a slight shaow or discolored area in the metal due to it being flexed one way, and then back the other.

If the blade fits in the "saya" or scabbard without having to force it....I'd leave everything alone even if taking the blade out and putting it back over time has left a scuffed metal surface. Polishing the surface to remove any imperfection afterwards is always "iffy." The surface temper pattern and damascus type finish will be altered and you'll get whatever is under the surface, and possibly an entirely new pattern you (or collectors) might not like...or worse yet, carbon pockets, flaws, hidden breaks not seen on the surface, etc.

That doesn't say who to go to, but you might try contacting the commercial or cultural attache at the Japanese Embassy (or a consulate) and ask if they know of any sword shows "back home" and for people you could contact directly. If at all possible, try not to send the sword to Japan for any contemplated work. Most often swords get returned, but if a culturally important sword gets sent to Japan, there have been cases where it wasn't returned.

Les

Thanks for theadvice Les.regards Mike.

Mike

There's a guy out in the wirral who does some polishing, he will be a good person to talk to about it.

i will dig out his name and number and get it to you

If it's a relatively cheap "Showa" or "Showa-gunto",

the term is Shin Gunto, showa is the japanese period prior to Meiji, a sword from that period is Showato :D

cheers

chris

Mike

There's a guy out in the wirral who does some polishing, he will be a good person to talk to about it.

the term is Shin Gunto, showa is the japanese period prior to Meiji, a sword from that period is Showato :D

cheers

chris

Thanks chris

• 3 weeks later...

Mike

cheers

chris

Chris,

I'm not sure about your use of Japanese eras.... Showa is the period from 1926 to 1989, which is -after- the Meiji period (1868-1912). "Shinto" swords are from the period 1597-1780 and post-date the Japanese civil war and old "Heian" type swords. A "Gunto" type sword generally refers to any sword in Japanese Imperial Army or Navy mounts.

Check out the following link for a thumb-nail definition of eras and sword types.

http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/period.htm

A "Showa-shinto" sword is a specific term used to apply to swords made following the Japanese-Russian war of 1905, and the expansion and changes that took place in the Japanese military prior to the beginning of WWII. The term "Gunto" is probably closer to the mark when speaking of military hardware or fittings on swords, but fails to indicate some of the cultural and social factors driving the stylistics of sword making at the time, and Japanese military culture taking it's clues on direction from the past, rather than developing newer concepts. Not every sword made during the "Showa" period was intended for use as a purely military arm. The sword in traditional Japanese culture was far more than a "sword" and can be seen as an artistic and technological development, and additionally with cultural overtones that overlap "military" or "samurai" traditions.

IMO...the "cult" of the Japanese sword somtimes seems overdone, and overly compicated. Listening to sword colletors (Nippon-jin, and Namban-jin alike) swapping terminology is sometimes like listening to art collectors or beer drinkers debating the "finer" points of whichever or whatever is better.

Les

yeah i ballsed up the periods but i have never heard of Showa-shinto, i have heard of showato and have them. they comonly are stamped withe the showa kanji

Shin gun to means new war sword...not complicated, it was the name given to sword produced for the japanese army. it originated in the early 1930's, but was a throw back to the old katanas. Swords produced for the Japanese-Russian war (and prior) tended to be more european in style

i should have illustrated my last post some what and it might not have sounded so snotty!

this is a showa-to, it has the military leaning, with sakuras ( cherry blossoms) and vines featured in the designs of the swords furniture

IPB Image

this is an example of the Shin Gun-to, classic 1930's Army sword

IPB Image

this design was abandoned in 1944 ( due to lack of raw materials) and a new basic pattern was adopted

IPB Image