News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Myth of Fact?

The 1925 George V High Rim Sovereign

In the 1940`s Great Britain was fighting for her freedom and gold sovereigns were needed for special agents and airman shot down behind enemy lines. The Royal Mi9nt and the Government secretly agreed to strike sovereigns for these agents and servicemen. All coins were dated 1925 with a special high rim to distinguish them from the normal issue.

I`ve found this website, but it doesn`t really answer my question, can anyone shine any light on this for me?

http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/1925sovereign.html

I think it might be a myth. The main question I have is, "Why?" I did a bit of googling and apparently......

With the introduction of banknotes during the Great War, gold coins ceased to be used in everyday transactions. Production of sovereigns ceased in 1917.

However, some more were minted in 1925. There weren't needed for general circulation, so I imagine they must have been used for storage as bullion. When sovereigns were needed for agents and airmen, these would have been the latest ones held in stock.

Incidentally, in 1949, 1950 and 1951 the Royal Mint produced more sovereigns - again for bullion use. They didn't bother to make new dies, but used the still-existing 1925 ones with George V head!

So there IS a known history of 1925 sovereigns being minted much later than 1925. Maybe this has lent some gloss to the story of a special "wartime edition."

Tom

Cheers Tom, I thought that might be the case!!!

I`ve done a bit more digging and have found the following website.

C:My Documents1925 British Gold Sovereign.htm

I think this answers the question. I suppose that if it was thought secrte then maybe no one knew until recently, but that having been said, if this has only come to light recently, it would be such a big event, in our circles that it would now in fact be common knowledge.

Also points to note, the company selling these items....

www.coinsoftherealm.com

1. The website doesn`t work.

2. The email address doesn`t work

3. The phone number just rings and rings.

Maybe its just my suspicious mind, but I think something is a little fishy here!!!!!

I`ve contacted the Royal Mint, anyway to seee if they can shine any light on this, will keep you informed.

Guest WAR LORD

Hopefully to clear the minatage of the Sovereign. Paper money issuded by the treasury during the First World War replaced gold for internal use after 1915 but the branch mints in Australia and South Africa continuded striking Sovereigns until 1930-2. Soveriegne of Royal mint was struck in the years, 1911 to 1917 and again in 1925. Soveriegne Canada, 1911 to 1919. Sovereign India 1918. Sovereign Australia 1911 to 1928. similar small bare head 1 die axis 1929 to 1931.Sovereign South Africa 1923 to 1928. similar small bare head 1 die axis 1929 to 1932.

Have spoken with the Royal Mint. They conformed that they DIDN`T mint any Sovereigns, during WW2. There is no doubt that various elements of the Allied Armied Forces, were issued with sovereigns, however, they certainly weren`t these ones!!!! On cross examination Coins of the Realm, buckled and said that, they had no proof that the sovereigns they had had taken part in any operations during WW2. So this proves to me that there alleged certificates aren`t worth the paper there printed on, and this is one big scam, to get money out of the unwarey!!!!!!!!! I also contacted Sotherby who basically confirmed what I already new, the and also added that they were grossly over priced and companys like COTR, are just out to make a fast buck.

Note to everyone avoid Coins of the Realm like the plague there a rip off!!!!!!!!

Interestingly no one I`ve spoken to about them, has ever heard of them!!!!! They have anice glossy catalogue, but thats were it all ends. I could bring other mis quotes, etc to your attention contained within the catalogue, but I think I`ve more than proved my point thus far!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have spoken with the Royal Mint. They conformed that they DIDN`T mint any Sovereigns, during WW2. There is no doubt that various elements of the Allied Armied Forces, were issued with sovereigns, however, they certainly weren`t these ones!!!! On cross examination Coins of the Realm, buckled and said that, they had no proof that the sovereigns they had had taken part in any operations during WW2. So this proves to me that there alleged certificates aren`t worth the paper there printed on, and this is one big scam, to get money out of the unwarey!!!!!!!!! I also contacted Sotherby who basically confirmed what I already new, the and also added that they were grossly over priced and companys like COTR, are just out to make a fast buck.

Note to everyone avoid Coins of the Realm like the plague there a rip off!!!!!!!!

Interestingly no one I`ve spoken to about them, has ever heard of them!!!!! They have anice glossy catalogue, but thats were it all ends. I could bring other mis quotes, etc to your attention contained within the catalogue, but I think I`ve more than proved my point thus far!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hallo bigjarofwasps :beer: THANKS FOR THE TIMELY WARNING!! :beer: THE MILKY BARS ARE ON ME :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer: