News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi there,

I just picked up this DRL set and was wondering if it is indeed an original set. The badge and stickpin have different makers and the stickpin has no swaztika, so I was wondering if this was possible or if someone just put the two together and called it a "set". I am pretty certain they are both good early pieces (die-struck, quality metal, right pin and catch etc) but any help on these are appreciated. First up is the badge which I believe may be a gold badge with most of the finish worn off, as the reverse still keeps some gold finish, or it might be a bronze issue. It is marked DRGM 35269, Wernstein Jena. Any help is great.

Pat

a quick note about the above, the "a" in Jena is there, but very faint. Anyways, here is the stickpin that came with the badge. It has no swaz and is made by BH Mayer, Pforzheim. It is die-struck (or forged, always get that mixed up) with nice detail. Could this have been issued with the badge of a different maker? Or was it just made into a set later. Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Pat

Avitas, Looks like a Bronze grade and it also looks good. I have seen several "sets" like this where the badges owner purchased the stickpin post war, no swastika. Both are valid makers. One other thought is the stickpin was pre 1937 when the DRL had no swastika. I hope this helps.

Rocky :beer:

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I had a pretty good feeling about them. I think my eye has improved drastically since getting some great help from people on this forum like Darrell, who has helped out from the start. Luckily, my only repros I have were all purchased in the first months of my collecting, and I have fared very well since then (just one bunk Kuban shield that I kind of hesitated to buy, should have trusted my gut!). To see how sharp the details should be and how well made the pin/catch set up is to a piece. I never really understood the whole pin/catch thing too well (just a beginner) but I can see how they are a good indicator of maker and originality. I hope to continue to receive great advice and improve my skills as a collector!

Cheers :cool:

Pat

:love: That is one nice set of sportabzeichens! I have my eye one a nice silver with swaz by Wernstein as well so hopefully my collection will increase as well. Is that the complete set of them Darrell? It appears to be all of them, unless there is some rare variation I haven't seen yet.

Thanks for showing the set!

Pat

[Avitas

Can I suggest that you consider collecting the award booklets, which offer an excellent insight into the criteria for awards. Of particular interest is an opportunity to see how each individual qualified for his or her award. These booklets remain very reasonably priced at the moment.

Best of luck building your collection.

Guest Darrell

As an example. The Silver DRL (w/ Swastika) in the group shot above belonged to:

Wilhelm Schnepper

Here are a few pics of the documents that came in the grouping:

Great condition, the badge comes to life with the docs.The female booklets appear harder to find,and as is often the case, lower numbers of awards appears to be the pattern. Darrell do you have any of the blue document booklets for females?

No. This is the only documented Sportsbadge I have.

Darrell

Is this the full set. If there are any more perhaps you could post details?

Here is my single documented badge to a female

regards

andy