News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

P38 Question

bsweeney

Unless it is a unusually high serial number there is no way to tell. The German military serial numbering system reset itself at the start of every year. So there was most likely a 7797e from every year of production. I assume we are talking about a WW2 P38 and if so there should be a code on the side of the slide such as "AC42" or "BYF44". If your has this it is the makers code Walther for the former and Mauser for the latter. The 42 or 44 is the year the piece was made. If it is a CYQ, for some reason they were not dated. Here is a good link that shows serial number ranges.

Dan Murphy

Pistole 38

Thanks!

That is where it gets a little strange. This Gun han No Walther Banner and no mfg. codes and does not appear to have been refinished. I also own a P38 cyq so I am a little familiar with the guns. On the slide is the serial number 7797e and it matches on the barrel and the frame. The gun is proofed with eagle 359 and eagle swazstika. The finish on this gun is deep black blue and appears to be old and far better than on my cyq. Seriously, I cannot detect any signs of tampering with this gun, it appears to be bannerless. I am just now purchasing this gun and won't be able to post images for about a month but I will do so asap. In meantime I would love to hear opinions.

Bill

Edited by bsweeney

The earliest your Serial # could have been made was for a AC 41. Your mention of the "deep blue black" finish makes me wonder if it is an old reblue. Not WW2 more like 50's-60's. Many times these guns with machining marks were buffed before it was reblued. When they were buffed the markings were often weakened or removed altogether The original finish would either be a rust blue on the very early pieces or a salt blue on the later ones. Neither of these could be called a deep blue black. I think you have a beblued gun. If so it's collector value is severely altered.

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Let me try to clarify what I was trying to get at. I own a cyq P38 it is extremely rough in its finish. I own a Walther PPK, it is smooth, shiny and a deep blue black in its finish. The gun that we are discussing is very much like that PPK. I think the comparison I just made between the two guns was lacking in this discussion and made it seem different than I actually meant. This P38 is in its finish like a Walther should be, smooth and shiny with a dark finish very much resembling my PPK.

P.S. The PPK is an original gun untouched.

I should mention here that the Walther banner or manu. mark cyq is the only mark missing every other proof mark and serial # is present and I can see on wear of any kind on all maeks. They look as they should.

Edited by bsweeney