News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 German shell protectors

Daniel Murphy

I picked up these a couple days ago and thought you ordnance/ field equipment collectors might be interested. These were woven from straw and were used to protect 77mm artllery shells from being banged around during shipping and while being carried in the caissons. Unsprung horsedrawn vehicles on uneven rutted dirt roads are not exactly easy on their cargo. I don't know much about these, but I assume the one without the "window" was used on standard HE. The others were most likely used for schrapnel and gas shells etc. The Window allowed the gunners to tell what type of shell it was by the color showing in the "window". Not what I would call a rare or highly desirable item, but how many do you see? Notice the "window" on this one with the white stitching at top and bottom.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Here is the group of three. There were four, but my best friend took a liking to them and I gave him one. Oh, one more thing, they appear to be braided by hand. Lets see, figure how long it would take to make one and multiply it times how many million shells? :o:(

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Hello Dan,

Never seen straw carriers before but have seen plenty made from wicker. I once saw a British web or canvas 18 pdr. carrier which was thrown over the shoulders with room for one shell each side.

Do you think POWs may have made the straw ones?

Tony

Tony,

These are technically not carriers, they would have been used to cushion the projectile while in the carrier. As to who made them, it is hard to say, but there were small cottage industries all over Germany making items for the war effort.

Dan Murphy

• 2 weeks later...