News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My complete set of the "Hindenburg Cross"

I now have all three variations of the Cross of Honour 1914 - 1918

Type 1- Cross of Honour 1914-1918 for Combatants

Type 2- Cross of Honour 1914-1918 for Non Combatants

Edited by Riley1965

Nice sets gents,

Still need the Next of Kin (love the black finish), but have one in my sights with documentation. These are plentiful but nice medals nonetheless. Here is my medal bar with the combatants cross.

Pat

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Again,

I just picked up this set? for a good price, and was wondering on its viability as a set. The Hindenburg cross with swords is very dark and it looks like it was finished black before it was faded a bit. It came with some documentation as well and I was wondering if it was for next of kin as well, or if someone just added the documentation to it to make it look like a next of kin. It definitely has the wrong ribbon if it is next of kin, but when I put it beside my other Hindenburgs it looks black. Any help or ideas on this set is very welcome, as it seems to me to be a bit of a mystery. Here is the cross..

Thanks,

Pat

Finally, a shot of the back of the doc, with part of another stamp (the kommando der schusspolizei) on the back which is not visible on the front. This to me makes it look like a good document, as it is stamped on front and back. Any thoughts?

cheers,

Pat

Pat,

It's a Cross for a combatant. the next-of-Kin has no swords. As for the document, I can't read German and have little experience with German documents.

You do have a very nice court mount EK and Hindenberg Cross and the Combatant and Non-Combatant Cross. All you need now is a next-of-kin.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Thanks guys :beer:

So it would appear my new HIndenburg cross is a bronze version, but not sure if it is solid bronze or not. It is quite a bit darker than the standard iron and steel versions, but it may simply just have a darker finish. Any ideas on this cross are welcome.

On the document, it seems all four of the documents Master3477 posted and mine have the same fold marks and similar markings and stamps. If you notice on the back of my Widow's document it has almost a mirror of the front, but slightly lower and off centre. If you hold it up to light the real front printing shows through and the faint mirror printing on the reverse is not visible. I'm not sure if this is some sort of anti-counterfeiting measure like on currency, or what the deal is. I made the mistake of thinking it was just stamped on the reverse, but it is actually reversed, like it was being seen through the paper from the front. THis is very strange as I don't know how someone would print it that way, but maybe that is the point. Any thoughts on this feature of the document?

Cheers,

Pat

Hallo Pat :beer:

I speculate your dark cross has just developed a dark patina with time, I took the liberty of high-lighting your original pictures and there is no indication it was given a dark finish, just what time itself as applied to the object.

By the way for your reference, most post 1945 Hindenberg Crosses dont carry a maker mark!! the back is blank.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hallo Pat :beer:

I speculate your dark cross has just developed a dark patina with time, I took the liberty of high-lighting your original pictures and there is no indication it was given a dark finish, just what time itself as applied to the object.

By the way for your reference, most post 1945 Hindenberg Crosses dont carry a maker mark!! the back is blank.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

The rear!

The "dark" cross is indeed magnetic, so it is probably a steel version. I do like the finish on it though, when put in my case beside the non-comnatants it is a nice contrast. So I guess that solves that, any more thoughts on the document?

Cheers and thanks for the help,

Pat