News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Bavarian Pilot badge sold yesterday on eBay that looked quite convincing. I would be interested in opinions on the piece becasue if it is fake, it would be educational to point out the subtleties or if real, it may offer some hope that good finds still do occur on eBay. I have no vested interest in this badge other than stated here. Opinions? Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Steve,

It is indeed quite convincing, just not convincing enough for me to believe it is real. This photo was the one that told all. Notice the poor detail to the crown and cross on top. It looks to have been cast from a mold made from a real badge. Notice what appears to be pock marks around the lower band of the crown. This only appears when an item is cast. Originals were die struck and finely detailed, therefore this , IMHO, is a fake.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Steve,

It is indeed quite convincing, just not convincing enough for me to believe it is real. This photo was the one that told all. Notice the poor detail to the crown and cross on top. It looks to have been cast from a mold made from a real badge. Notice what appears to be pock marks around the lower band of the crown. This only appears when an item is cast. Originals were die struck and finely detailed, therefore this , IMHO, is a fake.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Yes Dan, I can see it now. Amazing I did not see the air bubbles earlier. That is one of the best I have seen come across lately because the pin looks much more convincing thatn the others usually found. I feel sorry for whomever spent the $430.00 US. Given the other very nice items the vendor was selling, they may not have known either. Hard to say. Usually will see other fake stuff they try to peddle or more than one of these appear over time. Thanks for the opinion. Steve

This badge is interesting on several levels. It's an amazingly convincing attempt to fake an issue bavarian Pilot Badge and (one of) the new generation of rubbish that has been created to fill collector demand.

Some key issues:

A) very sharp/unfinished look to the edges. No German made that badge.

B) Reverse pattern of wreath is incorrect, I will not say more publicly, but they have not managed to get it right yet. Study originals, you will see what I mean.....

C) Hinge & Catch are almost there. Again.... look at an original....

D) Wrong top to the crown.... the (ahem) "manufacturer" appears to have confused Prussia with Bavaria...

If it had gone cheap, I would have bought it as a tool to help others differentiate. better scans would have revealed much wrong, I believe. But my days of shelling out $4-700 for fakes is over.

Here's a (sorry it's a small one) photo of an original with its' award document.