News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar with unidentified ribbons...helllp!

Hello Gents,

I have this new ribbon bar...

i know the first and the last ribbons...don't we all!

But the three in between...Hmm,

well the yellow one is russian st george?

Help with the others needed!

It has a flat pin on the back...

Thanks Gents!

Cheers

Paul

And the reverse with the flat pin...

It came with a wee buttonier with the EKII HK and the 2nd ribbon...and HK swords on the front...

Wonder if they belog to the same Soldier...

Edited by notned

Wow, this is a very nice Freikorps ribbon bar!

#2: Baltic Cross

Can't see the color of #3 very good, is it black with white stripes? Then it is the medal of the Iron Division, quite rare on a ribbon bar. See photo below:

#4: looks like Schwarzburg

Thanks Kev!

The black one ...the stripes look blue to me...

So whats this Baltic cross look like?

and the Freikorps medal...?the Iron Division..

and the last one..Schwarzburg...

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Thanks Kev!

The black one ...the stripes look blue to me...

So whats this Baltic cross look like?

and the Freikorps medal...?the Iron Division..

and the last one..Schwarzburg...

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Hallo Paul Here is a picture of a Baltic Cross II class, The first Class has a pin to the rear.

IRON DIVISION MEDAL picture from an old ebay auction years ago. :blush:

Can you confirm if the 3rd ribbon (Schwarzburg?) has blue stripes? as they look black in the picture, try looking closely to the rear of the bar, my ribbon book is pocket size, if it is Schwarzberg it seens to belong to:

Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, ribbon number 578 =

Furstlich Schwarzburgisches Ehrenkreuz RS Chiffre >>FG<<

2744I Kreuz I Class mit Eichenbruch, 1915.

2745 Kreuz II Class.

2748 Kreuz III Class.

2751 Kreuz IV Class.

2754 Goldene Ehrenmedaille 1857 - 1918.

2755 Goldene Ehrenmedaille mit Eichenbruch 1914 / 1915.

2756 Silberne Ehrenmedaille 1866 - 1918.

2757 Silberne Ehrenmedaille mit Eichenbruch 1914 / 1915.

There are a couple of more Class variations with swords etc.

Also Schwarzburg-Sonderhausen:

Furstlich Schwarzburgisches Ehrenkreuz, Chiffre >>GFC<<

2782 Kreuz II Class.

2784 Kreuz III Class.

2787 Kreuz IV Class.

2790 Goldene Ehrenmedaille 1857 - 1918.

2791 Goldene Ehrenmedaille mit Eichenbruch 1914 / 1915.

2792 Silberne Ehrenmedaille 1866 - 1918.

2793 Silberne Ehrenmedaille mit Eichenbruch 1914 / 1915.

There are a couple of more Class variations with swords etc. but I think its for this medal in zink, late War (see attached pictures again from an old auction on ebay and in my reference files :blush: ).

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Thanks Kev!

Now since the Baltic cross is an unusual award..can you tell me about the awarding criteria?

The Schwarzburg is black...so its not the schwarzburg then... wonder wht it is then...?

Yes the Iron Div medal looks daunting... thanks for the pics!

Cheers

Paul

Edited by notned

Thanks Kev!

Now since the Baltic cross is an unusual award..can you tell me about the awarding criteria?

Yes the Iron Div medal looks daunting... thanks for the pics!

Cheers

Paul

Hallo Chris, :beer: I believe the Baltic Cross information is already posted on the site :beer:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hi Kev.

Thanks, but where is this info?

Cheers

Paul;

Hallo Paul, :beer: I was sure there was some info posted on the Forum, but I cant locate it :blush:

The below information found online after a search with Yahoo.

- Medals of Post-War Germany for WWI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page ? 1998 Micheal Shackelford. Images and information provided by Hendrik Meersschaert.

Der Baltenkreuz / TheBaltic Cross:

was warded to the members of the Baltic militia (Landeswehr) and the German volunteer units in the Baltic area that, before 1 July 1919, had been for at least 3 months "under fire" (i.e. on active service and having participated in fighting) in the Baltic countries.

It is a black oxydized metal cross with a gilt 'Hochmeister" of the German Knighthood Order cross, ending in lilies, on top of it. The reverse is plain.

There was only one "class" of this award, but it could be worn as either a breast pin or from a white ribbon with a central blue band and blue stripes near the ribbon's edge. This gives rise to some notations as the ribbon-hung issue being a "2nd Class", similar to the Iron Cross, but there was only the one class.

The Baltic cross was instituted in the summer of 1919 by the "Baltische Nationalausschu?" in commemoration of the Baltic liberation fights in 1918-19 (in S?dlivland and Kurland).

This Nationalausschu? was the political representation of the German Baltic population in Latvia at the time. In total 21,839 crosses were issued.

It was only on 16 May 1933 that the Baltic Cross was officially recognized as an offical German award.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: A very nice-- but naughty-- ribbon bar. That is a classic circa WW1-very early 1920s (leftover WW1-made stock) ribbon bar, which the thrifty/cheap veteran has removed something on the end from to attach his 1934/35 Hindenburg Cross ribbon to. By that period only the Baltic Cross was still allowed and would have come AFTER not before the Hindenburg.

The Iron Division is indeed a find on a ribbon bar. Formed in November 1918 by ad hoc volunteers from units in situ, under command of a Major Bischoff, it was one of the largest Baltic Freikorps units at approximately brigade strength. Finally demobilized in March 1920, its medal was created at about that time in recognition of the unit's service.

Nothing springs instantly to mind with the next to last ribbon. It is possibly something obscure from one of the White Russian units which mingled with the German volunteers during the Baltic campaign.

Nothing springs instantly to mind with the next to last ribbon. It is possibly something obscure from one of the

White Russian units which mingled with the German volunteers during the Baltic campaign.

Could that be the Freikorps von Diebitsch cross, 2nd class? Ribbon comes close, at least.

Thanks Rick! yes its a unusual one!

And we can see the re-stitching the vet did when the HK was added...

So no chance of an ID?

the 2nd to last one is a real head scratcher! Hmm, where to look i wonder!

Webr55 thanks for the pic...its close but the ribbon on mine the black stripes are thinner...

Cheers and a good day to you all!

Paul