News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

25 or 40 years civil servants cross ?

From the illustrations - - it appears golden in colour and is therefore for 40 years loyal service.

The ribbon suspension ring is incorrect tho - - possibley a later replacement/repair

Edited by DanCz

From the illustrations - - it appears golden in colour and is therefore for 40 years loyal service.

The ribbon suspension ring is incorrect tho - - possibley a later replacement/repair

Hallo Chris :beer:

with regards this item it appears more silver than gold on my monitor for some reason :blush:

and I took it for a 25 year Service cross. I have a silver one and a gold one in my collection and I will post pictures of both side by side for comparason.

Kevin in Deva, :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Chris :beer:

with regards this item it appears more silver than gold on my monitor for some reason :blush:

and I took it for a 25 year Service cross. I have a silver one and a gold one in my collection and I will post pictures of both side by side for comparason.

Kevin in Deva, :beer:

Close up of Front the 40 year Cross (Gold) is by Deschler & Sohn M?nchen and the 25 Year Cross (Silver) by R. Souval of Wien.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

The question is Christian,

was a silver wash / finish applied to a bronze cross to create a silver?

or

A Gold wash / finish to a silver Cross to create a gold Cross?

Have any members out there got a very worn cross for comparisson??

mfg, Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

From the color of the scan--which may not be true to life--and the fact that the suspension ring has been snipped, I'd say some dummy clipped off a 25 and rubbed some sort of gold finish onto a silver cross.

I have NEVER seen one of these that there was any doubt about immediate color identification.

I have to agree with Rick. There's no doubt on these. The subtle gilding of Imperial germany was a lost art form ca 1939-45. The bright fire-gilding in all it's glory and sharpness was not. I think (Kev) you have two silver crosses there.

I have to agree with Rick. There's no doubt on these. The subtle gilding of Imperial germany was a lost art form ca 1939-45. The bright fire-gilding in all it's glory and sharpness was not. I think (Kev) you have two silver crosses there.

Hallo Stogie & Rick :beer:

hopefully I understand your posts right :blush: , the cross with the clipped ring is not mine it belongs to Christian L I originaly commented on the fact that it looked more like a silver to me than gold.

My III Reich True service crosses are the Gold and Silver side by side were posted for comparison. :beer:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hi there,

Here is my very worn 40 year service medal, with only guilding left on the edges and some minimal finish left on the cross itself. Someone had put a "50" on the front to make it look like a 50 year, but I am pretty sure it is only a 40-year medal. Here are the pics.

Thanks,

Pat

I could be wrong, but it might be a 50 year cross instead of the worn 40 as I do have the "50" that used to be attached to it as well (came with it), and you can see the area where it was attached. The guilding is still there on the oak leaves and it seems like maybe there wasn;t any guilding on the actual cross, making it a 50. Any ideas on it?

Thanks,

Pat

I think the on reverse of the 50 Year Cross - - - the word "Arbiet" replace the word "Dienste"

Hallo DanCz :beer:

Your comment is confirmed by whats written on page 141 of Christopher Ailsby's WW2 German Medals and political awards.

" This award takes the form of the crosses described in the Faithful Service Decorations for 25 and 40 years service, with the exception that the field of the upper arm of the cross has a raised Arabic "50" superimposed upon it. The body of the cross is silver plated while the wreath and the 50 are gilded.

The reverse is again identical to that described in the faithful service decorations for 25 and 40 years service, with the exception that the inscription has been changed to "F?r, Treue, Arbeit" (Loyal Work)

The wreath on the reverse has also been gilded."

I also attach a picture scanned from:Mr. Nimmerguts O&E 1800- 1945, 2005/6 edition.

Kevin in Deva.