News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have seen a few of these posted over the years but not that many so thought it might generate and interesting discussion.

Unmarked but utilising a similar hinge and pin to Heer/WSS combat badges often displaying the mark like ??. I understand this mark is often attributed to Wernstein or Wurster?

Anyway, here it is.

Now the interesting part...look at the flange on the right. Not quite the same width as the rest of the frame. No, it's not an optical illusion!

What can you tell me about these EK1's?

Rich

Hello

I'm afraid that I don't know who the maker of this cross is. However, the hinge, pin and catch setup is very similar to some known early pieces, (virtually all unmarked), often being the Schinkel type. There are a couple of examples of this set up in Gordon Williamsons book 'The Iron Cross of 1939', (pages 123, 124, and in relation to yours, page 125).

I know that Imperial crosses with an '0' or even '0.1', '0.2' etc mark are belived to have been produced by Ordenshersteller-Gemeinschaft, Pforzheim, but as they weren't a producer of 1939 EKs, (if indeed they existed at all by this period) it's unlikely they have anything to do with these.

As to the slightly large flange on one side, my best guess would be a simple manufacturing error.

Sorry I've not been able to help to much. Either way it's an interesting piece.