News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Romanian Securitate

Above the soldiers head, part of the stippling of the metal background can be seen,

a stippled background probably gave a better grip to the paint enamel and plastic

when applied to the badge.

Kevin in Deva.

• Replies 134
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wishing to take this thread to far off topic,

I offer the following as an example of stippling

on backgrounds of Romanian Communist insignias.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Absolutely correct, Kevin. As a former metal finisher, B. N. (before Navy), I can tell you that, were this not a stippled finish, it would have had to be primed- probably with a zinc chromate primer- which would have "gunked-up" the works on a piece so small. This way, the enamel had something to grip within the piece itself. The clear coating would, in turn, grip the enamel.

I really wish I had a new Securitate item to bring this thread back on track but, unfortunately, I don't. The search continues...

• 6 months later...

IT IS WITH GREAT SORROW (unless he's among us) THAT I MUST INFORM YOU GENTS

THAT THIS BAR HAS LEFT TO A GUY IN SWEDEN,

FOR LESS THA HALF THE PRICE IT WAS LISTED ON EBAY :banger:

I don`t know if this would necessarily be a Securitate bar, but since it is not mine, I thought I should put it here, just to have a record of it.

I've seen the ribbon of the last piece before, I know it`s for the police, but I do not know what the medal looks like. Anyone ?

This IS a Securitate ribbon bar, as evidenced by the 4th award (Order for Distinguished Services in Defense of the Social Order and the Country - 2nd Class- pre '68). Also, there's a Border Guard award (Defense of the Country Medal) in the 13th position. The last award is actually a Bulgarian award (30 Years of Bulgarian People's Army) indicating a cross-border connection which was common with the various security organizations within the Warsaw Pact. I'd be curious regarding the final sale price- it's a nice bar.

Hey Alex!

In my opinion, a little less than $50 is just about correct for the current market for that ribbon bar. There aren't a lot of Securitate collectors around. Even on Okazii I've seen Securitate items that are just too over priced stay unsold for years... I don't know if the sellers are hoping for a great upswing in the world's economy, but they had better wake up because I believe we're in this "sag" for the long haul. If they are really intent on selling the items, they would do well to come down on their prices- after all, the items are probably incredibly "marked up" from what they paid (Kevin has an interesting story about an elderly woman who was really taken advantage of regarding her dead husband's awards).

• 9 months later...

Hello again,

Some may call this unrelated,but I believe these handcuffs to have been also used on the politically based jailed persons,

and there for on the topic of the thread. Any information on them ? I have never researched handcuffs before.