News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - What is this War medal ?

lilo

While I was researching the life and the medals of British/Canadian Lieutenant General John Wimburn LAURIE (1835-1912), I discovered that He was a Red Cross Commissioner in the Servo-Bulgarian War of 1885.

In his bio it was indicated that he received, between others, a 'War Medal'.

What is it the Serbian War Medal awarded for the 'Serbian-Bulgarian War of 1885' ?

Can someone post a colour photo from which I can exactly see the colours of the ribbon from which it is suspended ?

Many Thanks in advance to all that can help

Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hi Lilo,

Medal for War 1885 - 1886 can be as well attached on triangular ribbon. What is most interesting, medal had a nick name ''Cross of Shame''.

I'm attaching text from my book about this medal, if you're interesting....

Commemorative Medals for the war with Bulgaria 1885 – 1886

After war with Bulgaria had ended, king Milan had on the 19th of February (3rd of march), a day after Bucharest peace treaty had been signed, instituted Commemorative Medals for the war with Bulgaria 1885 – 1886 (Collection of the Acts and Regulations, XLII, 57). The right to wear of this medal had all officers and soldiers of the active army and the 2nd call who participated in the war or were mobilized and all civil persons who performed their duties on the battlefield. By the Regulation issued in 1898 it was additionally specified that medal can be bestowed ass well to all active officers who remained in their garrisons and all civil persons fit to military service (Official Military gazette, 1898, p. 496 – 497) . No tax needed to be paid for this medal. Lists of decorated persons were kept in the Military commands. After the death of the recipient medal remained with the next of kin.

Commemorative Medals for the war with Bulgaria 1885 – 1886 has the shape of the 42 mm wide straight armed cross, made from forged iron. Cross has raised edges with the grained surface. Left arm is bearing the date ' 1885 ' while date ' 1886 ' is place don the right arm. The central medallion is embellished by a six-pointed star with rays between the arms. The medallion on the reverse of the cross bears military trophies, crossed flags and cannon barrels and rifles. Cross is lacquered in black and it has polished raised parts. Eye-loop is minted together with the cross in one piece. Ribbon is black, 28 mm wide with thin red stripes at the edges. It is folded similar to the ribbon of Silver medal for bravery. Sometimes we can find ribbons folded in triangle, but this was against the regulations. Medal was wearied on the left side of the chests.

Acquisition and selling of the Commemorative Medals for the war with Bulgaria 1885 – 1886 was entrusted to the firm of Albert Benedikt, which was selling it for 50 paras (half of dinar) apiece. It is not know in which workshop medals were manufactured. Because of the simple execution it is possible that they were produced in the workshop of Benedikt himself and furnished with ribbons made in Vienna.

Gloomy image of the medal and the fact that Serbia suffered a humiliating defeat war with Bulgaria contributed to the medal's nick name 'Cross of shame'.

Medal was accompanied by very attractive awarding document. Document is showing an allegory image of woman, standing on the pedestal with cipher of king Milan. A crowned double-headed eagle from Serbian coat of arms is placed behind the woman. Form were printed in photo-lithographic workshop of General Staff.

One more picture,

an interesting medals clasp of an veteran of war 1876 - 1885.

He is wearing (Gold?) Medal for zealous service 1877 - 1878, Commemorative medal for war 1876 - 1878 and Commemorative medal for war 1885 - 1886

Hi paja / bovec1313

Many Thanks to both for the answers and precious photos/link posted.

bovec1313

Yes, the text from your book about this medal was very interesting.

Two things remain obscure to me :

1) Why the Cross was called 'medal' ? In other words, I would like to know if in Serbia the Cross in exam is usually called and known as 'MEDAL'.

2) Can this CROSS be awarded to FOREIGN and to personnel of RED CROSS ?

Again Many Thanks for your Help

Best Regards

Lilo

Edited by lilo

Hi Lilo;

in Serbian language there are two words for decorations; orders, (higher decorations usually in more classes) and medals (lower decorations, usually in one, sometimes in two classes). Medals can be in form of cross, or round medal or something else (like Albanian medal), but iit is always called a medal.

So, even in form of cross, it's officially called Comemorative Medal for the war 1885 - 1886. Unofficialy, it can be called cross (Cross of shame in this case).

I hope this will clear the matter.

Yes, cross was often awarded to foreign recipients, officers and red cross personel, who were supporting Serbian army. So it's no boubt that your Lieutenant General John Wimburn LAURIE was eligible to this award.