Communist

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 23 June 2010 - 18:00

I had to share this before the item even arrived... one of the "grails" of Hungarian security. It's a Kadar period Excellent State Security Police (Karhatalom) Service Badge along with the miniature in case. Very rare. The Rakosi period version of the badge is more rare, but I'm certainly happy to have found this. The period of this badge would be post 1957 until 1971, when the Karhatalom was disbanded.

Attached Files

#2 Kev in Deva

Kev in Deva

Club Host

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 20:10

Greg, congratulations upon your great find! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Kevin in Deva. :cheers: :cheers:

#3 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 23 June 2010 - 20:17

Thanks, Kevin! You know how I crave security items ;-).

Here's my collection of Public Security Medals. First, a Bronze grade 1947 model from the Tildy period (coalition government). No case nor ribbon with this one. Pretty rare.

Attached Files

#4 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 23 June 2010 - 20:28

A Silver grade 1951 model in case with ribbon. This medal remained unchanged and was given until 1989. This example is from the '60's, judging by the case. I have the document for this as well.

Attached Files

#5 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 23 June 2010 - 20:34

In 1952, it was decided to extend this medal to both the armed and uniformed AVH- the Karhatalom. The only difference between the Karhatalom version of the medal and the Police version is the ribbon- that's it. This particular version is the Gold grade in case, again from the '60's. This medal was awarded until the Karhatalom was disbanded in 1971.

Attached Files

#6 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 23 June 2010 - 20:38

Also in 1952 it was decided to extend this medal to the Border Guard. Again, the only difference between this and the '51 version of the medal is the ribbon. Shown here is the Bronze grade, in case, from the '60's. These were awarded from 1952 until 1989.

Attached Files

#7 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 23 June 2010 - 20:50

A couple of cap badges: first a Rakosi period cap badge for both the Karhatalom and the Border guard (note the absence of weapons below the star. A two piece badge in brass and hot enamel. For the record, I have never seen an example of this badge with the star placed perfectly- it's always off a bit.

The next badge is a Kadar period Police cap badge- note the weapons below the star. This is a one piece badge in brass and cold enamel.

Attached Files

#8 Gordon Craig

Gordon Craig

People's Republic of Hungary Host

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:44

I had to share this before the item even arrived... one of the "grails" of Hungarian security. It's a Kadar period Excellent State Security Police (Karhatalom) Service Badge along with the miniature in case. Very rare. The Rakosi period version of the badge is more rare, but I'm certainly happy to have found this. The period of this badge would be post 1957 until 1971, when the Karhatalom was disbanded.

Greg,

Very nice to see one of these badges in the case and with the miniature. When it arrives, would you ge kind enough to post a picture of tht top and bottom of the case please.

Regards,

Gordon

#9 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:47

I'd be happy to do so, Gordon.

#10 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 05 July 2010 - 21:00

The Excellent State Security Police set has arrived! Gordon- the case is completely (top and bottom) covered in a red leatherette. No distinguishing mark or seal either printed or embossed on the top; the same leatherette covers the "scuff". It is, however, a very sturdy case with a metal latch and two metal hinges.

Attached Files

Edited by Greg Collins, 05 July 2010 - 21:01 .

#11 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 05 July 2010 - 21:05

On to the badge itself. There are some enamel issues within the Kadar seal but, all in all, the badge is in very good shape. The back features the "opposing prong" type attachment.

Attached Files

#12 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 05 July 2010 - 21:08

The back...

Attached Files

#13 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 05 July 2010 - 21:12

on to the miniature... gilt plated and standard pin back.

Attached Files

#14 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 05 July 2010 - 21:16

A final image of the set in case. The badge has a form fitting (even for the prongs) recess while the miniature doesn't- it's just placed here for the photo.

Attached Files

#15 Gordon Craig

Gordon Craig

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:44

Greg,

Thanks.

Gordon

#16 hunyadi

hunyadi

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 06 July 2010 - 15:20

There were two differnt froms of this badge for placement on the uniform - the type that Greg has shown here and a pinback form. The pinback form has a vertical needle and clasp which is unique to the HUPR badges. This was also the latter form - probably from the early 1970's before it was disbanded. My LtCol. of the Karhatalom has this vertical pinback badge tho it is an earlier uniform.

#17 cimbineus

cimbineus

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:20

Gents,

There was another, a third type of this badge too. That is an RRR!!! rarity grade piece, and only one piece is known so far. This picture shows all three types together, and gives an impression on the sizes of the badges. There is no need to say which is the extremely rare one, I guess...

Regards,

cimbineus

Posted Image

#18 cimbineus

cimbineus

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:22

... but for any case, here is a closer look:

Posted Image

#19 Greg Collins

Greg Collins

OC

• Old Contemptible

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:48

Wow, nice badge. I see the Hungarian plastic star has been brought into play here. While I understand the rarity of the piece, as well as the value of something of which so few were made, I think I'd rather find a Rakosi era badge as you've shown on the upper left. The crossed PPH and Mosin-Nagant make it for me!

#20 Gordon Craig

Gordon Craig

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2010 - 22:43

cimbineus,

Very nice badges. As usual, very impressive stuff.

Regards,

Gordon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hungary, Hungary, Communist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users