Photo

Persia Order of Nishan-i-limi ( Order of Arts & Science)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Markus

Markus

• Gold Subscription
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 13:33

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information!) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Private collection.

Attached Files

Edited by Markus, 27 January 2012 - 13:58 .

#2 Markus

Markus

• Gold Subscription
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 13:35

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information.) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. A grouping of various types. Private Collection.

Attached Files

Edited by Markus, 27 January 2012 - 13:59 .

#3 Markus

Markus

• Gold Subscription
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 13:39

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information.) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Spada Collection, exhibited in The Legion of Honor Museum Paris France.

Attached Files

Edited by Markus, 27 January 2012 - 14:02 .

#4 Markus

Markus

• Gold Subscription
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 13:43

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information!) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Another school was founded at the same time as the Polytechnic College of Tehran, The Dar al-Funun military academy. This medal with military style of Lion and Sun with sword could have been related to the military accademy. This medal was in it's original Halley Lasne box. Markus collection.

Attached Files

Edited by Markus, 09 February 2012 - 13:30 .

#5 Markus

Markus

• Gold Subscription
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 13:45

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information!) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Another school was founded at the same time as the Polytechnic College of Tehran, The Dar al-Funun military academy. This medal with military style of Lion and Sun with sword could have been related to the military accademy. Markus collection. Close up of the medallion.

Attached Files

Edited by Markus, 09 February 2012 - 13:31 .

#6 Great Dane

Great Dane

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 16:40

I have posted this before, but it seems to fit the thread nicely :)

Recipient is unknown, apart from "railroad engineer, working in Persia"...

Attached File  persiagroup.jpg   141.46KB   20 downloads

/Michael

#7 Markus

Markus

• Gold Subscription
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 16:47

Very nice Michael! Seems like the proper ribbon would be a red ribbon and along the way sometime a dealer replaced my example with a green ribbon. I like the officer ribbon on yours. Quite a nice medal bar.

#8 James Hoard

James Hoard

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 20:43

Officially instituted in 1852 and called the Nishan-i-Ilmi (Order of the Arts and Sciences) as a reward artistic and scientific merit for those who had achieved success in their studies at the recently founded Polytechnic College of Tehran. Later converted to a full scale state order of merit for the advancement of learning and dissemination of knowledge by scientists, writers, educators, artists, etc. (Thank You James Hoard for this information.) According to an article written by Robert Macnamara in OMSA publication, This order had four classes, beginning with a copper medal, then an eight-pointed badge, in silver and in gilt, and a ten-pointed badge in gilt for first class. The upper classes in particular were more or less reserved for foreign professors, many from Vienna, who staffed the institution. Spada Collection, exhibited in The Legion of Honor Museum Paris France.

I remember reading once that the Military War College in Tehran had a decoration for its students and professors, a military counterpart for the civil decoration at the Polytechnic. But I have never found any further information about it, what became of it or if it also eventually morphed into an official state decoration.

Perhaps this decoration with the standing lion holding sword is actually the War College decoration, rather than the Nishan-i-Ilmi.

Again, I think we can forget the green ribbon. More dealer's 'hocus-pocus'.

Cheers,
James

#9 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:31

Again, I think we can forget the green ribbon. More dealer's 'hocus-pocus'.

I see you are deadly serious about this "replacement hypothesis" James :)

#10 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:34

Please welcome green ribbon specimen.
Close relative of this one.

Attached Files

#11 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:36

Obverse

Attached Files

#12 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:36

Reverse

Attached Files

#13 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:38

Comparison

Attached Files

#14 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 15:56

If not "identical", then darn close to it ;)

#15 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 16:39

And now companion piece for standing lion with superimposed crown.

Attached Files

#16 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 16:50

Clearly marked speciment with at least one french mark (800). My guess it`s our old friend Arthus Bertrand work.
Let`s compare it with another specimen from above.

#17 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 16:52

Comparison

Attached Files

#18 IMHF

IMHF

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 17:20

Attached File  Iran.jpg   43.43KB   16 downloads

There is a small piece online that I was looking at can you share some information about it.

Order of Humayun

Arthus Bertrand, I wonder if the ribbon is correct?

#19 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 17:33

At last!!! It`s about time for us to see some unified examples of lion and sun order :lol:

P.S. This post was a remark to my post 17 ;)

Edited by JapanX, 29 January 2012 - 17:38 .

#20 JapanX

JapanX

Loyal Member

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,892 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 17:36

Attached File  Iran.jpg   43.43KB   16 downloads

There is a small piece online that I was looking at can you share some information about it.

Order of Humayun

Arthus Bertrand, I wonder if the ribbon is correct?

Yep. You are right. This is Arthus Bertrand. After 1925 type of order and ribbon. Ribbon is correct one. I am planing to create a thread completely dovoted to these Bertrand lions ;)

Cheers,
Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users