News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Eastern Republic of Uruguay

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. Unfortunately I couldn’t locate (the one and only?) published piece about this order: Fred Altmann // Der Orden der Republik Östlich des Uruguay. Orden und Ehrenzeichen, 4. Jahrgang, Heft 18, April 2002, S. 2 – 6. Maybe our German colleagues could help us with this one?

Cheers,

Nick

P.P.S. Heraldic addendum

Since coat of arms is a central motive of Order of the Republic I think It will be interesting to discuss its interpretation and amazing instability.

Uruguay coat of arms consists of an oval, which is divided into four equal sections and crowned by a rising golden sun (actually it is the “Sun of May” – national emblem of Uruguay (and Argentina) where “The Sun” is a representation of the Inca sun god Inti and “May” is a reference to the May Revolution which took place in the week from 18 to 25 May 1810, which marked the beginning of the country independence from the Spanish Empire). The oval is surrounded by a laurel branch on the left and an olive one on the right, representing honour and peace, joined at the bottom by a blue ribbon.

In the upper left quarter of the oval we see a scale set on a blue background – symbol of equality and justice. In the upper right quarter we see Cerro de Montevideo (Montevideo Hill) with its fortress on the summit on a silver/white background – symbol of strength. In the lower left, also on a silver/white background, we find galloping horse – symbol of liberty. The lower right quarter holds an ox on a blue background, which is a symbol of abundance.

Sincere thanks for an excellent presentation of a largely overlooked award! The coat of arms issue, widely debated at one time in Uruguay, revealed wide-spread displeasure over use of 'Argentinian color shades' and 'desexing' of stallion horse & bull ox!

Edited by 922F

• 5 months later...

Hi Nick,

a very interesting thread on a little known order.

As far as I know, in most Latin american countries the sash in the colours of the flag of the country with the coat of arms attached on it, is the official insignia of the Presidency. So, if a President is inaugurated this sash is betowed on him by either his predessor or the Chief Justice. It has no connection with a grandcross sash of an order of that country.

Regards,

Pieter.

As far as I know, in most Latin american countries the sash in the colours of the flag of the country with the coat of arms attached on it, is the official insignia of the Presidency. So, if a President is inaugurated this sash is betowed on him by either his predessor or the Chief Justice. It has no connection with a grandcross sash of an order of that country.

Indeed!

See post #40 ;)

Regards,

Nick