News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Josef Buchmüller a machine gunner, a flamethrower and a tanker

Grenadier Josef Buchmüller an 18 year old factory worker from Siegburg Prussia, was recruited into a Guard machine-gun company in August of 1916.

After his basic training as a Grenadier and machine-gunner he volunteered for flamethrower training. On January 15, 1917 Grenadier Buchmüller was transferred to the 1st company of 2.Garde-Pionier-Ersatz-Bataillon for a one month training course as a flamethrower combat engineer. On February 15, 1917, after his successful training as a flamethrower operator he returned to the 1. Ersatz-Maschinen-Gewehr-Kompagnie des Garde-Korps. Now, two weeks later on March 1st he was transferred again for further training to the newly created Sturm-Panzer-Kraftwagen-Abteilung 1. On October 22, 1917 he went to the Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung in Schöneberg near Berlin. According to the entries in his Military Passport Kraftfahrer Buchmüller stayed with Kraftfahr-Esatz-Abteilung 1 until March 6, 1918 when he was transferred again back to his old unit the Ersatz M.G.K des Garde-Korps. From there he was sent to a frontline unit in France.

In April 1918, Buchmüller, now a Jäger in the 2nd machine-gun company of the Garde-Reserve-Jäger-Bataillon, fought with the Garde Jäger at Montdidier and Noyon. On April 25 and 26 he fought as a machine gunner at the battle of Villers-Bretonneux next to his old tank unit the Sturm-Panzer-Kraftwagen-Abteilung 1.

On June 9, 1918 his machine gun came under heavy artillery fire and he received a severe head wound. Josef Buchmüller was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class on June 14, 1918

He was released from hospital on July 23, 1918.

On November 20, 1918 Josef was discharged from the Army. The war was over.

Edited by Naxos

Josef Buchmüller

177 cm tall

geboren am 23. September, 1897 in Siegburg-Mülldorf

Beruf: Fabrikarbeiter

Buchmüller wurde am 3. August 1916 als Landsturm Rekrut ins Heer eingezogen.

Er kam zum Rekruten-Depot - Ersatz-Bataillon - 1. Garde-Reserve-Regiment.

9. August, 1916

3. Kompagnie, Ersatz- Bataillon - 1. Garde-Reserve-Regiment

13. September 1916

4. Ersatz-Maschinen-Gewehr-Kompagnie des Garde-Korps

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-1062-0-13040300-1379849932.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-1062-0-41758600-1379850001.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-1062-0-94275700-1379850065.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-1062-0-78485900-1379850257.jpg

Edited by Naxos

Now it gets interesting:

1./Ersatz-Komp. 2.Garde-Pionier-Ersatz-Bataillon

Vom 15. Januar bis zum 15. Februar 1917 als Flammenwerfer ausgebildet.

(signed by Oberleutnant Lange from the Flammenwerfer)

15. Februar 1917

wieder zur 1. Ersatz-Maschinen-Gewehr-Kompagnie des Garde-Korps

in Kallinchen bei Zossen in Marsch gesetzt.

Edited by Naxos

Sturm-Panzer-Kraftwagen-Abteilung 1.

1. März 1917 - 22. Oktober 1917

22. Oktober 1917, gemäss Verfügung des Kommandanten der

Ersatz Maschinen Gewehr Truppen des Garde-Korps

der Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung Schöneberg überwiesen.

Edited by Naxos

Nice? That´s amazing!!!!!! Thanks for showing!!!

Here again the dates of the detachment:

Order of the war-ministry to set-up two Sturm-Panzer-Kraftwagen-Abteilung at february, 15th, 1917: january, 23rd, 1917

They were set-up at september, 29th, 1917 (War ministry Nr. 815.9.17)

Mobilization for both Abteilungen january, 8th, 1918

So it´s clear, that the unit was set-up before the tanks arrived.

By the way. The first commanders of them were:

1.Abtl.: Hauptmann Greiff

2.Abtl.: Hauptmann Steinhardt

So he left the unit, before the first A7V was built (november, 5th 1917)

I agree with Bernhard, that he was "shuffled-around". Probably they planned a crew for the tanks through the Ersatz-Abteilung. But most of the crews were volunteers. So they took them, because they had a better moral...

Edited by The Prussian

8. April 1918

2. M.GK. Garde-Reserve-Jaeger-Bataillon

Mitgemachte Gefechte:

14. April 1918 - 24. April 1918 – Kämpfe and der Avre bei Montdidier und Noyon

25. April 1918 - 23. Mai 1918 – Kämpfe an der Ancre, Somme und Avre.

25. / 26. April 1918 – Schlacht bei Villers-Bretonneux

24. Mai 1918 - 9. Juni 1918 – Feldzug gegen Frankreich

9. Juni 1918

durch Artillerie Geschoss am Kopf schwer verwundet – zur San. Komp. 241

14. Juni, 1918 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse verliehen

Edited by Naxos

So he left the unit, before the first A7V was built (november, 5th 1917)

I agree with Bernhard, that he was "shuffled-around". Probably they planned a crew for the tanks through the Ersatz-Abteilung. But most of the crews were volunteers. So they took them, because they had a better moral...

Andy, The the commander of the Kraftfahr- units wanted 100 A7V tanks - I'm sure they trained enough crews and spares for those tanks - but by March it was clear they only get 30 A7V tanks. So, they sent the extra crews they trained back to their Garde units.

Andy, The the commander of the Kraftfahr- units wanted 100 A7V tanks - I'm sure they trained enough crews and spares for those tanks - but by March it was clear they only get 30 A7V tanks. So, they sent the extra crews they trained back to their Garde units.

That is indeed very possible, a logical explanation

Ah, thank you. But that doesn´t make any sense to the unit...

reading the entire column it does -

like: Buchmuller war vom: 22.10 1917 bis 15.1.1918 bei nebenstehender Kraftf-Ers.-Abtl. Nr.1 im immobilen Verhältnis

(then, neuer Satz) versetzt zum Kraft I Rekr. Dep. 2 f. St B 2

Edited by Naxos

Yes, that´s clear. But I haven´t found anything about the abbreviation

Andy, I made another scan, I was wrong, have a look it clearly reads:

versetzt zum Kraft I Rekr. Dep.2 f. St.P. 2

what does "f. St.P. 2" mean?

Oh, yes! That was too easy to see... :whistle:

That makes sense! The Kraftfahr-Ers.Abtl.Nr.1 was responsible for each Sturmpanzer-Kraftwagen-Abteilung.

But I haven´t read anything about a Rekruten-Depot of the Kraftfahrer. But in the book "Sturmpanzerwagen A7V - Vom Urpanzer zum Leopard 2", I read, that the introduction in tanks were in Charleroi and the last driving-lessons were told in the rear areas of the front. That might be the Rekruten-Depots.

Later they had Ersatz-formations in Hannover and Munich too, as well as a new "Off-road driving school" in Braunschweig (middle of 1918)