News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A rare M1914 Daunenmantel

Back in 1999 I purchased this rare piece of German WW1 clothing… A Daunenmantel, or as others call it sometimes, a Kalteschutzmantel. Since then, I’m also looking for original pictures of German soldiers wearing one of these, but it seems there aren’t many around.

A few weeks ago I bought this beautiful mannequin and it seemed to be the right one to dress up as this German officer wearing a Daunenmantel in one of the pictures… The officer in the picture is wearing (don’t know why) an English cap but I used a German one (just because I don’t have an English one)…

The Daunenmantel was introduced in 1914 as an emergency attempt to provide the soldiers extra protection against the first cold winter. The fabric appears to be heavy cotton, filled with down (fluffy duck feathers) and stitched in a square pattern to keep the down in place.

It appears that the Daunenmantel was only produced in one size, large enough to fit over the overcoat, even while wearing standard equipment.

I hope you can also enjoy this rare bird…

Adler 1

Daunenmantel%20%2002_zpskh7rbqqj.jpg

Daunenmantel%20%2004_zpsresyuwso.jpg

Daunenmantel%20%2005_zpspymbqhin.jpg

All the period pictures I have seen have it as an outer garment, good description in the book "The German Army in the First World War: Uniforms and Equipment, 1914 to 1918 by Jurgen Kraus

I'll have a look any other pictures? I don't see it doing much good over clothing. W2 they had the same thing but it fastened inside a huge wool 'surcoat'? on the Eastern Front. Maybe the officer has just finished breakfast do people get dressed first nowadays? lol!

Eric

Nah in somers it says underneath no wonder they lost. Dante next time you winter camp turn ya sleeping bag inside out lol! anyway the sleeves are like that so it goes inside the mantel.

Eric

Thank you for your interest in this rare bird gentlemen!

Chris, its not fragile at all and very supple, one could even wear it today I think...

Eric, I see what you mean by turning a sleeping bag inside out, but we do have to realise that in 1914 the knowledge about insulation was maybe 1% of what we know today. I have seen only 3 pictures of a Daunenmantel and they were all on top of their other clothes...

Chip, it's stamped JR11 but I can't read the makers stamp anymore... 

If someone should have other pictures of a Daunenmantel, please don't hesitate to post them here... thanks in advance!

Adler 1

Eric, I see what you mean by turning a sleeping bag inside out, but we do have to realise that in 1914 the knowledge about insulation was maybe 1% of what we know today. I have seen only 3 pictures of a Daunenmantel and they were all on top of their other clothes...

Think you'll find our forefathers were a lot cleverer than us. When Johan showed his I did a little research the garment is copied from an ancient Chinese design when they wore what they had. No doubt Straus who was a bedding maker copied this fashion via his Shanghai dealings. Its probably filled with feathers they used a swan in their logo. Today people call it 'Turkish padding' or something. The cloth is cotton gaberdine imo I've never handled one same weave they used as lining in tunics, mantels. Ok but I don't see it lasting long worn on top myself, a. the soldier maybe just showing it off or b. he maybe not fully dressed. Anyway I'd love to see more pictures too.

http://www.wirtemberg.de/straus-bettfedernfabrik.htm

Cheers

Eric, I really don't know how this Daunenmantel was supposed to be worn, just because there's so little known about it. I can only say that I have seen only 3 pictures of it and they are all 3 worn on top of the regular clothes...

Here's another period picture...

Adler 1

Daunenmantel%2003_zpssjexi3av.jpg

Did you read the link mattress makers,, if it was mean't to be an over garment it wouldn't have tape closing it imo, w2 they did away with the sleeves furthermore I doubt it can be worn over a tunic then greatcoat because of the arms, very nice rare item but I don't see it as a weather over coat.

Eric

Kraus says that a Bavarian Kriegs-Ministerium order of 20.11.14 allowed for the creation of an Daunenmantel for officers and Beamten. It was to be worn under the service overcoat. Of course, for temperature conditions that would not require both, I could see it being worn as in the photos, just to take the chill off. It would not have held up as well as an outer coat of wool, especially in the rain and trench conditions.

Chip 

Karel

Have you checked images from the '14 Christmas Truce, its difficult but something may turn up. I've a picture but not 100% sure (IWM) Blimey lately I'm spending more time with me camera than drinking!!! I feel like a David Bailey.

Eric