News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian medal bar

Hi all,

Many thanks to Charles for this one! (Many thanks my friend!!!! :cheers: ). I'd mentioned getting some of the more modern Hungarian awards and he knew of this bar and recommended it to me. I liked the description and especially as I don't have any Hungarian medal bars I thought this would be a great start. He was kind enough to go ahead and get it for me and also to allow me to go ahead and post it for the benefit of the rest of our Hungarian collectors.

So without further ado here is a pic and also the results of some research Charles has now done on this wonderful bar:

post-873-1174494305.jpg

"The medals on the bar are a late war production Fire Cross W/ Swords dated 1943. The ribbon is a modern replacement. Next to it is the Medal of a Democratic Hungary. I didn't catch the date at first of Dec 21, 1944. This was the day that a provisional government was established in Debrecen (on the eastern portion of the nation) while the 2nd Ukranian front was encircling Budapest. The medal was created in 1992 and awarded to individuals who were in the Hungarian Army on the December day and who were part of a small army that went over to fight the Germans. 4500 individuals were confirmed to be part of this small army (most of them were from two generals who had complied with Horthy's wish on Oct 15th, 1944 to turn and fight the Germans.) Of the 4500 recipients about 1000 were awarded posthumously. Then the last one is the medal given to 6600 people who had proof of revolutionary activities from Oct 23rd, 1956 to November 12th 1956. So - this means this guy (sadly no name to go with it) fought the Red Army in 1943 - 44 in a front line position, then was part of a couple of regiments who then turned on the Germans and fought Fascism, then who in 1956 fought the Russians again."

Great research Charles did on this bar! :jumping::jumping: Again many thanks my friend!!!! :cheers:

Looks like a terrific piece and I can't wait to see it in person. Hope ya'll like it as much as I do. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

post-873-1174494305.jpg

1956_fighter_bar_fr_sm.JPG

Edited by Hauptmann

Now that (!) is a great little bar. Nice catch.

Odd he did not have any Horthy era decorations on it-or are those banned?

Hi Ulsterman,

Many thanks!!!! :cheers: Not sure... Charles will have to kick in on that when he has time. But I agree it's a great bar! :jumping::jumping:

Oh, if anyone wants to see the back it'll have to wait until either Charles has time to do a scan of it or I get it here and can do it. I know he's busy, busy, busy right now. He also managed to get ahold of one of the retirement boxes and a nearly complete set of the long service medals for me. I have shots of the latter but not the box but hope to post those when they arrive as well. :cool:

Again Charles, many thanks my friend... couldn't do it without you!!!! :beer:

Now that (!) is a great little bar. Nice catch.

Odd he did not have any Horthy era decorations on it-or are those banned?

Yep - its a great little bar with a treaure of history behind it. Having just a 1943 fire cross is not uncommon - if the person was mustered up in 1942 / 43 for the 2nd Hungarian Army, he would have not qualified for the "Return of Hungary" trio. Also - just being at the front lines never guaranteed you a bravery medal either. Its just an interesting bar from the standpoint of Hisotry - fight the Russians then the Germans and then the Russains again.

As far as Horhty era medals are concerned - anything that bears his image (IE bravery medals, etc...) is allowed, but that crowd is now very old and nealry all paased on. This one showed up in a medals store and I think the family brought it in after grandpa passed away. Frustraiting how they hardly ever get then name or any of the history when I buy them :banger:

Hi Charles,

Thanks for posting the back my friend. Wow! She's a beaut from both directions!!!! :jumping::jumping: One the one on the left in this shot... are those three stars or three leaves at the bottom? Quite fetching... I really like the design... of all of these. Can't wait till it gets here and gets setted in with the rest of the family. I'll have to take a big group shot now that the collection has grown so much.

Thanks again my friend. I couldn't do it without you!!!! :beer:

Seriously, I would kill for that bar.

You are a lucky man.

If you ever want to trade for an imperial bar, I have few odd ones scattered about.

Hi Ulsterman,

WOW! :speechless1: Many thanks! :cheers: I take this as a "VERY" high compliment! :jumping: Hey Charles! If he ends up offering me a Marlene (See at: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1165...rlene&st=20 Posts 29 & 30) I may have to go for it! :cheeky:

Seriously Ulsterman, you're second on the list under Charles. :D But methinks this one is going to be a keeper. :P

Thanks again, :beer: