News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

YU Submarine Badges

Gentlemen,

some years ago I had been lucky to get the early variant (1960) of the YU Submarine Badge for enlisted men in silver at my dealer in Vienna - for officers or people, who served more than 10 years it has a gold wash.

I had to pay USD 85,- for the silver badge http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...st&p=157108 (top right on the scan), what is a hughe amount of bucks for a YU badge :( . But it was genuine - compared with the photographs in the "Submarine-Badge-Guide" - and in perfect condition.

These badges are rare, because Yugoslavia had never that hell lot of subs in service: Most of the time around 2 to 5 submarines in the fjord of Kotor.

Does anyone have any further informations about YU Submarine Badges :unsure: ?

That's an old YU Submarine Badge (1960) with gold wash, which is now offered for USD 230;- :

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Hi Christian,

Very nice badges indeed! I especially like the newer type from the 70's as it's so colorful. :love: About what do those run out of curiosity? :unsure:

Very interesting thread. :jumping: Hope it continues for some time... I for one would love to see more examples. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Christian,

Very nice badges indeed! I especially like the newer type from the 70's as it's so colorful. :love: About what do those run out of curiosity? :unsure:

Very interesting thread. :jumping: Hope it continues for some time... I for one would love to see more examples. :beer:

Dear Dan,

the problem is, that Yugoslavia had always only a very, very small number of submarines in service, so these badges seem to be rather rare :( .

The Adriatic Sea has never been THE location for submarine activities - a certain lack of depth of the waters.

YU sub badges seem to be rather expensive. I am still looking out for the newer type of the 70's for less than 100 bucks :unsure: .

Christian

Hi Christian,

Many thanks! :jumping: A bit rich for my blood right now but I sure do like them! :love::jumping::jumping:

Dear Dan,

the quality of the later badge of 70's is not quiet up to Soviet standards: Even the red star at the top doesn't have enamel, but only paint :( .

The old 1960 form has good enamel at the red star :D .

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

• 2 months later...

Early variant (1960) of the YU Submarine Badge

Gentlemen, that's the above mentioned YU sub badge I have in my collection:

The red star at the top is enamel of rather good quality and NOT painted.

You can read IKOM ZAGREB (in large letters) at the small (tombac) screwplate on the rv.

Christian

You can read IKOM ZAGREB (in large letters) at the small (tombac) screwplate on the rv.

Christian

I picked up my 70s version sub badges from Manions for a song. The 60s versions were pretty hard to find. I usually find that certain areas of the former Yugoslavia produce certain items. All of my security badges - all three classes - came out of Zagreb. A lot of my Navy academy badges came from Pula, Croatia. There are two newer sub badges that many experts disagree about. One simply subbed the SaM double eagle on a red field for the red star - I don't think that was an issue piece. And there is an entire series of new badges for the SaM Navy that no one seems to know about. I don't have a picture of those badges unfortunately.

• 4 months later...

Gentlemen,

I have read somewhere, that the old form of the YU Submarine Badge was given till the end of communist Yugoslavia to all non-officers and the officers got the new one in the 1970s.

Any confirmation of that information :unsure: ?

Christian

Christian

Gentlemen,

any opinion about that :unsure: :

I have read somewhere, that the old form of the YU Submarine Badge was given till the end of communist Yugoslavia to all non-officers and the officers got the new one in the 1970s.

Any confirmation of that information :unsure: ?

Christian

Christian, your information is correct. The "new submarine badge" was instituted on the 7th February 1970. So, from 1970s the new form badge was given to active officers and the old form badge was given to seamen.

Regards, Sebastijan

Christian, your information is correct. The "new submarine badge" was instituted on the 7th February 1970. So, from 1970s the new form badge was given to active officers and the old form badge was given to seamen.

Dear Sebastijan,

many thanks for your expertise :cheers: .

So, the "old" YU-submariner-badge is neither old, nor so rare ;) .

Was the gold-wash-version of that badge the one for active officers up to 1970 :unsure: ?

Christian

Was the gold-wash-version of that badge the one for active officers up to 1970 :unsure: ?

Hi Christian

About gold submarine badges I found information only about gold submarine badge for active officers (so called new form badge). It was given to active officers for 10 years of service on submarine or for 10 years of service in headquarters of submarine unit.

The gold wash badge of so called old form still remains mistery for me. I still looking for answer, why there are no information about this badge, neither in books where you can find informations about other yugoslavian badges (including submarine badges).

regards, Sebastijan

About gold submarine badges I found information only about gold submarine badge for active officers (so called new form badge). It was given to active officers for 10 years of service on submarine or for 10 years of service in headquarters of submarine unit.

The gold wash badge of so called old form still remains mistery for me. I still looking for answer, why there are no information about this badge, neither in books where you can find informations about other yugoslavian badges (including submarine badges).

Dear Sebastijan,

that I also read somewhere: officer + 10 years service + submarine = gold wash badge.

So, the "modern" officers YU-submarine-badge in silver might be for service below 10 years and the one in gold for service over 10 years :unsure: ?

Many thanks, Sebastijan, we already might have some sort of systematism in the field of YU-submarine-badges :cheers::jumping: .

Christian

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

Long time since the last Submarine post, but I found some badges, of both types in "gold and silver".

No pictures of the reverse, I?m afraid.

Does anyone know if they?re modern repros. They are too new looking to be real, am I wrong?

Best regards,

Dolfek.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-2661-1239301649.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2009/post-2661-1239301664.jpg

Edited by Dolfek

Hi Luka,

Thanks, It?s what I thought when I saw them. Too good to be true.

Hi Gordon,

There are not mine. I found them for sale on Ebay sometime ago. So beware, someone has a lot of them for sale.

Best regards,

Dolfek.