News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The German General Who Beat Rommel To The Nile ... By 60 Years

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

I know what you are thinking:

What on EARTH has this got to do with BRITISH Medals?

Well, meet eventual General of Cavalry Maximilian Karl August Friedrich von Hagenow (1844-1906). This pleasing photo was taken circa 1893-94 as Oberst commanding Hussar Regiment 9.

Guest Rick Research

Better now?

That's right. Tucked in last place, suspender obscured under the drapes of the German ribbon mounting is

The Egypt Medal 1882-1889, no bars (unless the bar is completely covered over?). Looks funny with no Khedive's star, doesn't it? :catjava:

1888 bar medal from Chris Boonzaier's thread:

<a href="http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3334" target="_blank">http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3334</a>

Von Hagenow was promoted to Major i.G. 14.4.85 Dd. NO idea when he was off looking for the Mad Mahdi with H.M. Forces. Could have been as a General Staff Captain before that.

Any idea how many German "tourists" were along for these grueling desert expeditions? (Plus ?a change... :rolleyes: )

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

In 1879 von Hagenow was a senior Rittmeister assigned to Hessian Husaren Regiment 14, so presumably he was off wandering the Nile as a freshly minted Major. I should be grateful for any service record data indicating between what dates and as what he was attached to the British forces. :beer:

Rick,

there is no indication in the Milit?r-Wochenblatt of 1887 or 1888 suggesting the then Major v. Hagenow's detachment from his assignment on the staff of the 17. Division. Similarly his entry in the Stammliste of Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 22 offers no clues. :(

Regards

Glenn

Of course not a secret to well-kept German ranklists!

1878 and 1879: RM v. Hagenow, HusR14, EK1, BMV3b, MMV2, HSH3bX

1880: added a Johanniter, BL3 and JK5

1881: dto

1882: Hptm iG, GS 30. Div, added RW4 (Russian Wladimir)

1883: added RAO4

1884: still Hptm iG, GS KavDiv XV. Armee-Corps, added: BMV3a, TM3

AND added - in 1884 -

GKM ---> reads as [sic]: "Gro?britannische Kriegsmedaille f?r den Feldzug in Egypten 1882" :jumping:

:beer:

Guest Rick Research

EXCELLENT!! :jumping::cheers: That narrows down the 7 year period of this medal to TWO--

but where did you find that 1884 listing? It's not in the Rank List 1897 as an award shown.

I don't have any 1880s Ranglisten... mine start with 1890.

Guest Rick Research

He must have been THE unique holder. Somebody put it in that one issue and then Higher Powers said: why are we doing this for Just One Guy? (I've never succeeded in finding the apparent singletons who once somehow ended up with Royal Hawaiian awards, either....)

What is really weird is I would SWEAR that I can see the "bulge" of a BAR wrapped underneath the German ribbon drape. What was it? :banger: :speechless:

Ohhh yes, inventing an abbreviation for one single holder - in order to do it properly! :cheers:

Btw Rick - a small world yes yes - if you look one up from Hagenow on that scan ---- that is the future GenLt Georg Frhr. v. Rechenberg, the father of your Baron Tammy! :jumping: