News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Moldavia

I have not seen very much on the Orders and Decorations of Moldavia, so here is my small contribution on this little known republic.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures, but most of them come from a set of stamps issued about 1999.

Ordinul Republicii (or the Order of the Republic) ? founded on 30th July 1992 (Legii nr.1123-XII) as a general award for exceptional meritorious services to the state and in all areas of human endeavour.

Ordinul Stefan cel Mare (or the Order of Stephen the Great) ? founded on 30th July 1992 (Legii nr.1123-XII) as the highest military decoration of the republic for supreme acts of valour and self sacrifice during military operations, maintaining public order or security.

Ordinul de Onoare (or the Order of Honour) ? founded on 27th September 2002 and awarded for meritorious services to national consolidation, promotion of democracy, reformation and peace.

Ordinul Gloria Muncii (or the Order of Labour Glory) ? founded on 30th July 1992 (Legii nr.1123-XII) and awarded for exceptional meritorious service in one's area of work or endeavour leading to success in that area of activity or expertise, especially in the scientific and technical fields.

Ordinul Credinta Patriei (or the Order of Service to the Fatherland) ? founded on 30th July 1992 (Legii nr.1123-XII) and modified on 28th July 2004 (Legii nr.292-XV). Awarded in three classes for services in the security field, the armed forces, frontier corps, interior troops and the forces that maintain law and order. Class I is limited to 15 appointments per annum, Class II to 10, and Class III to 5.

Ordinul Recunostinta Patrei (or the Order of the ? (Restoration?) of the Fatherland) ? founded on 30th July 1992 and awarded in a single class for meritorious services in the filed of education and science.

Medalia Meritul Militar (or Military Medal of Merit) ? founded on 30th July 1992 (Legii nr.1123-XII) and awarded for heroism or courageous service in war for the maintenance of national independence, defence of the sovereignty of the republic, etc.

Medalia Pentru Vitejie (or Bravery Medal) ? founded on 30th July 1992 (Legii nr.1123-XII) and awarded for courageous acts of humanity, the maintenance of public order, combating crime, etc.

Medalia Meritul Civic (or Civic Medal of Merit) ? founded on 30th July 1992 (Legii nr.1123-XII) and awarded for meritorious civic merit in the performance of duty.

Medalia Mihai Eminescu (or Mihai Eminescu Medal) ? founded on 30th July 1992 (Legii nr.1123-XII) and awarded for merit in the creative fields, especially in literature and the arts.

Medalia Nicolae Testemitanu (or the Nicolae Testemitanu) ? founded on 30th July 1992 and awarded for merit in the fields of public health and sanitation.

Medalii Jubilare (or Jubilee Medal) ? awarded to commemorate the 60th anniversary of liberation from Facism.

Any additions, corrections or illustrations are welcome.

Cheers,

James Hoard

Nice of you James to bring up this topic. Before we get more into it, I would like to point out that you refer to the awards of the Republic of Moldavia, not of Moldavia. Moldavia has been a Romanian principality that had united in 1859 with Wallachia to make the modern state of Romania. Moldavia extended between the Carpathians in the West and the Dniester in the East for most of its existence. In 1812 however, the Russian Empire had occupied the eastern part between the Pruth and Dniester and renamed it Bessarabia (the name born only by the southernmost counties that had once been under the rule of the Wallachian ruler Bessarab). After the return to Romanian rule between 1918 and 1940, the region was occupied by the soviets and became a soviet state until 1992 when it declared independence and assumed the name Republic of Moldavia.

Nice of you James to bring up this topic. Before we get more into it, I would like to point out that you refer to the awards of the Republic of Moldavia, not of Moldavia. Moldavia has been a Romanian principality that had united in 1859 with Wallachia to make the modern state of Romania. Moldavia extended between the Carpathians in the West and the Dniester in the East for most of its existence. In 1812 however, the Russian Empire had occupied the eastern part between the Pruth and Dniester and renamed it Bessarabia (the name born only by the southernmost counties that had once been under the rule of the Wallachian ruler Bessarab). After the return to Romanian rule between 1918 and 1940, the region was occupied by the soviets and became a soviet state until 1992 when it declared independence and assumed the name Republic of Moldavia.

Hello,

Many thanks for your kind input.

Of course you are quite right. Perhaps it is best to call the republic "Moldova" instead of Moldavia?

Thanks also for the link and for the additional posts. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Many thanks for your kind input.

You're welcome.

Of course you are quite right. Perhaps it is best to call the republic "Moldova" instead of Moldavia?

"Moldova" is the Romanian form of "Moldavia", so either way it could lead to confusions in my opinion. I would suggest the use of the full name, either "Republic of Moldavia" or "Republic of Moldova" to identify the young state. Even more so since the first attempts to establish a Romanian order in the 19th century came from the Moldavian side of the Romanian state. In the first months after the 1859 union, before the establishment of a central authority, the Moldavian authorities in Iasi prepared the draft of a law aiming to establish the Order of the Golden Wreath, with insignia inspired by the French Order of the Legion of Honour (the law did not pass through parliament and the order was thus not established).

This is Order of the Republic:

Many thanks for the corrections.

I am afraid things got a little mixed up when my first attempt at posting had the word "Recunostinta", using the correct and original characters. Everything seemed to go wrong and I went into panic mode. Lines bled into each other, images would not load, and all sorts of things happened. I tried to reduce the images, change text style, spacing, ac. Nohing worked until I finally figured out what was causing it all. I was the "s" tail.

By the way what is the correct translation of "Recunostinta"?

Cheers,

James

Recunoştinţa = Recognition.

Order of Recognition of the Fatherland awarded to persons who born and take care of five or more children, after the moment when last will be 16 years old.

I have some more information about this order in Russian, I will translate it and put here next day.

Recunoştinţa = Recognition.

Order of Recognition of the Fatherland awarded to persons who born and take care of five or more children, after the moment when last will be 16 years old.

I have some more information about this order in Russian, I will translate it and put here next day.

Many thanks IVB, that would be most useful.

This decoration seems to have a surprisingly high precedence to the type of award you describe. Any particular reason for this?

Cheers,

James