News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Moldavia

Despite a momentary outbreak of irredentist nationalism, a very interesting thread. Thanks.

I am afraid I do not understand your comment. As far as I know irredentism refers to a doctrine of annexation of lands on the basis of ethnic and/or historical links, but this far I have not seen anything like this on this thread. I have provided some historical details (that may only be known to professional historians), while others have posted images. Would you please care to detail where have you seen irredentism in this thread? Were any posts deleted? Thanks.

I think "gratitude" would be a better translation of "recunoştinţă".

Thanks, you are right, of course.

Order made of gilt "tompac". Diameter ? 40 mm. It has form of stylized convex rayed cross. In the center is circular silver medallion with child, woman and man. Around is inscription "Recunoştinţa Patriei", in the bottom is national flag of Moldova in natural colors. Cross is imposed into laurel wreath in relief. Badge of order attached to metal bar with enamels of blue, yellow and red colors. In the center of the bar is image of the flower in relief.

This decoration seems to have a surprisingly high precedence to the type of award you describe. Any particular reason for this?

I don't know about reason, may be bad demographic situation? :)

Edited by IVB

Order made of gilt "tompac". Diameter ? 40 mm. It has form of stylized convex rayed cross. In the center is circular silver medallion with child, woman and man. Around is inscription "Recunoştinţa Patriei", in the bottom is national flag of Moldova in natural colors. Cross is imposed into laurel wreath in relief. Badge of order attached to metal bar with enamels of blue, yellow and red colors. In the center of the bar is image of the flower in relief.

I don't know about reason, may be bad demographic situation? :)

Many thanks for the detailed description. Very useful and much appreciated.

You may be right about the demograpahic situation. I think that net migration is negative.

Cheers,

James

What seems to be the "Участник Афганской войны". Тяжелый металл (белый), на закрутке, a badge for Afghan War veterans.

Wonder where they found the design inspiration??

Do you mean you have information that this is an official award of the Republic of Moldavia? The language in the legend does not match. Can you give more details?

Hello, gents!

This badge seems to be an award of the Union "Veterans of Afghan War". But I'm not sure.

Here is webpage of this Union http://www.afganwar.md/russian/brotherhood.htm.

There are two medals of "Association of the Veterans of Local Wars and Armed Conflicts of the Republic of Moldova" - "15 years of Withdrawal Soviet Troops from Afghanistan" and "For Brotherhood in Arms". And one badge "Veteran of the War in Afghanistan", central part of which similar to other badges that you have seen and to badge post by Ed.

Hello, gents!

This badge seems to be an award of the Union "Veterans of Afghan War". But I'm not sure.

Here is webpage of this Union http://www.afganwar.md/russian/brotherhood.htm.

There are two medals of "Association of the Veterans of Local Wars and Armed Conflicts of the Republic of Moldova" - "15 years of Withdrawal Soviet Troops from Afghanistan" and "For Brotherhood in Arms". And one badge "Veteran of the War in Afghanistan", central part of which similar to other badges that you have seen and to badge post by Ed.

Thanks IVB. So it might be a badge of a veteran association.

I presume such veteran associations exist in all/many of the former Soviet states. Is it possible that they share some elements for their badges?

• 10 months later...

All that I have on Moldova ODM:

<a href="http://rapidshare.de/files/40532192/Moldova_ODM.pdf.html" target="_blank">http://rapidshare.de/files/40532192/Moldova_ODM.pdf.html</a>

PDF file, ~8,5 Mb.

I must have missed this link before. Is it still available somewhere, because given link claims that the item is deleted.

Dragomir