News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

Okay... another one that was seen and okay'd by Jack Angolia way back when. Have had it for well over twenty years.

This is a funny one in a way. When Kim was going to college in Gainesville Florida we maintained our condo down in Dunedin and we commuted back and forth as she didn't want to live up there and neither did I. Waaaay too many people for our tastes.

Anyhow there was a little used book/stuff shop... no other way to describe it because some stuff was total junk, some antiques, some collectibles... you never knew what they'd have. Was there like forever and a day and almost a landmark with the college crowd.

Well, the owner, who was seldom there, had some German militaria in there. I think 99.99999% of it was trash.

However, Kim got me some badges, one of which is this one I'm about to show. It just looked too dog gone detailed and well made for me to believe it wasn't good. Admittedly the pin and catch are gone and it almost seemed to have an old soot or burn residue on the back like it had been in a fire... but far enough from it not to melt or otherwise damage the badge.

I looked it up in Jack's books as well as comparing it to tons in other books, etc. over the years. And as I say I took it along on one of our trips to see him and he didn't have a problem with it.

But thought I'd pop it on here as well. As when I was reading about one of these on here that happened to be an Assmann I started to wonder if mine had a maker's mark. Had never seen one on it. Well, I "carefully" cleaned away a bit of that soot or whatever it is and lo and behold there it was... the Assmann mark just like the ones pictured on here.

Anyhow here it is for general comments, etc. Assuming it is indeed a good one, any info would be welcome as well as any advice as to a possible restoration... if that can be done.

I think it's a beautiful badge and especially if it's absolutely confirmed as real I'll feel even better because Kim got it for like $16... well, actually got several of the badges for that, but the others are definitely fakes. And no telling where this guy got them... he'd come by stuff, put a price sticker on it and chuck it in a case and forget all about it. Most likely he just didn't realize it if it is indeed a good one.

Oh, and I know the case is for the Pilot... and I got that for $5 as a possible repro but figured it's good to keep the badge safe if nothing else and hey, $5 ain't too bad. :D

Almost hate to follow that gorgeous Pilot/Observer one that was previously posted with this, what with the damage and all, but again I love it especially since "my love" gave it to me. :blush::D

Anyhow, here goes:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well what a great story, dan

There are at least three types of zinc Assmann Observers, each having different wreath styles and reverse set-ups. Assmann are well known for using their earlier dies (originally used for tombak/aluminium badges) in the manufacture of their late zinc series. Early zinc examples will be found with a thin, well detailed wreath and hinge attached by means of a hinge plate. The second type, and a little later in the proceedings,

has the heavier, slightly less detailed wreath with a one-piece sheet metal hinge, and the last in the series will be found with a one piece wreath/cast-in hinge.

Going on the marks left by the hinge/catch, I would say that your badge is the # 2 type with sheet metal hinge.

Even though the badge has seen better days, it?s absolutely right for a late zincker and still a nice piece of history.

As far as restoration goes? leave it as you found it.

Guest Darrell

Very nice Dan. Seem to have overlooked this thread :unsure:

Like the guys say ... nice zinker. Too bad about the reverse hardware.

The Pilot's case is still worth ~ $250-350 in the condition it's in :cheers:

Edited by Darrell

Very nice Dan. Seem to have overlooked this thread :unsure:

Like the guys say ... nice zinker. Too bad about the reverse hardware.

The Pilot's case is still worth ~ $250-350 in the condition it's in :cheers:

Hi Darrell,

So... spitter sput... dare I even say it... or think it... the... case... is good too? :o:jumping::D

I had no idea! I knew it was the pilots but the guy I got it from... a USAF officer in Tampa wasn't sure so sold it as a copy. If real then I did very well as I think I paid like $5 for it... won't even say how long ago cause you can guess. :lol:

I mean I'm thrilled having the badge re-confirmed by this esteemed group but the case as well... fantastic!

I just can't thank you enough... all of you for your kind comments and confirmation of all this.

Just out of curiosity... as it is, roughly what would the badge itself be worth? I want to shock Kim a bit on this one as she too was thrilled to know it was real when Jack told us way back when.

Thanks!!!! :cheers: I owe's ya all a pizza some day when you come to visit me here in the great white north. :D

Dan

• 5 months later...

And last but not least... the mark:

[attachmentid=55036]

I really do wonder if this wasn't picked up at a crash site due to the blackened look of the back, the pin and catch damage, etc. If only it could talk.

I hope the new scans do the old girl more justice than my previous pics. :jumping::jumping:

Dan :cheers: