News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help from Canada

Can anyone give me some info on the 138th Battalion CEF?

I have an enlistment certificate (if that?s what it is called) for William Tour of Edmonton who enlisted in 138 O? Batt. CEF but can?t find him online. He isn?t on CWGC either so must have survived.

I?ve found out that 138 Batt. left for England in August 1916 but were soon incorporated into 137th and 175th Battalions.

Any help or tips on where to look would be great.

Thanks

Tony

Guest Darrell

138th Battalion, CEF

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 138th Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, the unit began recruiting in late 1915 in that city. After sailing to England in August 1916, the battalion was absorbed into the 47th, 50th, 137th, and 175th Battalions, CEF on December 8, 1916. The 138th Battalion, CEF had one Officer Commanding: Lieut-Col. R. Belcher.

++++++++++++++

Titles and Lineage Alphabetic Index of Titles

1915.12.22 138th Canadian Infantry Battalion, C.E.F.

formed at Edmonton, Alta.

191X absorbed by 21st Reserve Battalion to provide reinforcements

1920.09.15 disbanded; perpetuated in 1921 by 19th Alberta Dragoons

++++++++++++++

Here is a speel on the 19th Alberta Dragoons .........

1908.02.01 19th The Alberta Mounted Rifles

raised in Edmonton, Alta.

1911.01.03 19th Alberta Dragoons

1914.08.06 contributed vol sqn (badged 19 Alta Dgns) to Canadian Light Horse for service in France

1921 reorganised to perpetuate Canadian Light Horse, 9th Battalion CEF, 66th Battalion CEF, 138th Battalion CEF, and 202nd Battalion CEF

1936.02.16 absorbed The Alberta Mounted Rifles without change of title

HQ Squadron at Westlock

A Squadron at Chauvin

B Squadron at South Edmonton

C Squadron at Vegreville

1940.05.24 found B Coy for mobilisation of The South Alberta Regiment (remainder of regt served in Reserve Army throughout the war)

1946.04.01 amalgamated with The Edmonton Fusiliers, to form 19th Armoured Car Regiment (Edmonton Fusiliers)

+++++++++++++++

Nothing ground breaking ... all I could find online.

Edited by Darrell

Thanks Darrell, but I was hoping you?d tell me he was awarded the VC for taking out 16 machine gun nests single handed, while bringing in wounded under heavy shell fire at Vimy or somewhere in the salient.

Here?s a pic of him, he has two shoulder titles, one probably says Canada but all I can make out on the other is ?NF or ?WF, any ideas?

Are Canadians not on the NA site, I can't find him there?

Thanks Darrell, but I was hoping you?d tell me he was awarded the VC for taking out 16 machine gun nests single handed, while bringing in wounded under heavy shell fire at Vimy or somewhere in the salient.

Here?s a pic of him, he has two shoulder titles, one probably says Canada but all I can make out on the other is ?NF or ?WF, any ideas?

Are Canadians not on the NA site, I can't find him there?

Tony

What's the "NA site"?

I'd guess that the shoulder title says "INF" but that's just a guess, WWI is not my field. I do know, however, that many of the CEF battalions numbered above 100 never got to be any bigger than 400-500. Most of these were parcelled out as reinforcenmenst to the first 100 or so units after they hit England.

The numbers went as high as 270 but most of those never got beyond 200-300 men and were broken up for reinforcements before even rewaching England. The 256th CEF, for example, was from Lindsay, Ontario, my wife's home town and I think numbered less than 200 men in total - raised in 1916 or later. Mkes the badges very rare and desireable but service tought to trace because none of them were 256th by the time they left England for the Western Front!

Peter

• 2 months later...

Here's a pic of him, he has two shoulder titles, one probably says Canada but all I can make out on the other is ?NF or ?WF, any ideas?

The second title is definitely "INF" for Infantry. The lower title may be a 138th/Canada title and not the better known "Canada" variant. Some information on these can be found in my book "Khaki - Uniforms of the Canadian Expeditionary Force"

I'd had this a while, never knew what it was until now - I'd assumed that it was Australian, NZ, Canadian infantry..

A bit uninspired for a shoulder title

But very useful. Add a number above it and a "Canada" below it, and you've got instant battalion identification. The lack of a battalion numeral above seems to confirm that he is wearing a specialized shoulder with battalion number as well as Canada.