News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oskar Dirlewanger's awards

Hi everybody,

Can someone give me the awards of Oskar Dirlewanger. I'm reading the excellent book of Christian Ingrao, Les chasseurs noirs - la brigade Dirlewanger. I just know he finished the 1st WW with the grade of second lieutnant of Wurttemberg unit. Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Christophe

Christophe,

I hope that this helps, but it does not give dates for his WW1 EKs.

Dan

DIRLEWANGER, Dr. Oskar (RK; DKiG)

(1895 - 1945)

SS-Oberfuhrer d.R. (W-SS):

B. 26. Sep. 1895 in W?rzburg/Franken.

D. 7. Jun. 1945 in Altshausen, Possibly beaten to death.

NSDAP-Number.: 1 098 716 SS-Number.: 357 267

SS-Oberfuhrer.d.Reserve.: 12. Aug. 1944; SS-Standartenfuhrer.d.R.: ; SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer.d.R.: ; SS-Sturmbannfuhrer.d.R.: ;

Medals:

Knights Cross if the Iron Cross: 30. Sep. 1944 as SS-Oberfuhrer. d.R. and Kommander., SS-Sturmbrigade "Dirlewanger" on the Eastern Front;

German Cross in Gold: 5. Dec. 1943;

1939 bar to the 1914 EK I: 16. Sep. 1942;

1939 bar to the 1914 EK II: 24. May 1942;

Antipartisan Badge in Bronze;

Wound Badge, 1918 in black;

Wound Badge, 1939 in Gold;

Honor Cross with swords;

Other States awards

.....and he was 'honoured' by the Slovaks (neck order).....and had the Eastern People's Award (breast)........and the Old Campaigner Chevron.......and the TK Ring........and Freikorps awards........ and God only knows what else.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

Hi

Many thanks for informations. Do you know if Dirlewanger received the SS honor ring and SS sword. I know he was in a Wurttemberger unit during WW1, did he received awars from this Kingdom ? Many thanks per advance.

Jacques, many thanks for the photo. Do you know if another one exist with his ribbon bar ?

Regards

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

Yes. Dirlewanger received the Gold Military Merit Medal 4 October 1915 as a Leutnant der Reserve in Grenadier Regiment 123. That means he had both EKs BEFORE then in order to have qualified for it.

That's the only one I know about, from helping Daniel with some of the W?rttemberg rolls.

He did not show either the SS Ring orSword in the November 1944 SS Seniority List.

• 1 month later...

Here is some basic data on Dr. Dirlewanger.

Best wishes,

~ Mike Miller

Dr. phil.

Oskar Dirlewanger

SS-Oberf?hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS

* 26.09.1895 in W?rzburg / Franken.

+ 07.06.1945 in Altshausen / Kreis Saulgau / W?rttemberg (beaten to death in French captivity). Gravesite: The local cemetery in Altshausen.

NSDAP-Nr.: 1 098 716 (Joined 01.03.1932)

SS-Nr.: 357 267 (Joined 01.07.1940)

Promotions:

01.10.1913 Einj?hrig-Freiwilliger

27.07.1914 Unteroffizier

24.12.1914 Vizefeldwebel

14.04.1915 Leutnant d. R.

30.12.1918 Oberleutnant d. R. a. D.

02.08.1933 SA-Scharf?hrer

04.08.1933 SA-Truppf?hrer

09.11.1933 SA-Sturmf?hrer

24.06.1940 SS-Mann (mit Wirkung vom 01.07.1940)

01.07.1940 SS-Obersturmf?hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS

19.08.1940 SS-Hauptsturmf?hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS (mit Wirkung vom 01.08.1940)

08.02.1942 SS-Sturmbannf?hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS (mit Wirkung vom 09.11.1941)

12.05.1943 SS-Obersturmbannf?hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS

19.03.1944 SS-Standartenf?hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS

12.08.1944 SS-Oberf?hrer d. R. der Waffen-SS (mit RDA vom 10.08.1944)

Decorations & Awards:

30.09.1944 Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes as SS-Oberf?hrer d. R. and Kdr. SS- Sturmbrigade ?Dirlewanger? / Kampfgruppe Reinefarth / Kommandierender General des Raumes Warschau / Heeresgruppe Mitte, Eastern Front (based on a recommendation dated 10.09.1944 and signed by Heinz Reinefarth; approved same date by Kom. Gen. Erich von dem Bach)

05.12.1943 Deutsches Kreuz in Gold as SS-Obersturmbannf?hrer d. R. and Kdr. SS-Sonder-Bataillon Dirlewanger /

H?here SS- und Polizeif?hrer Ru?land-Mitte und Wei?ruthenien (based on a recommendation dated 15.08.1943 and signed by the HSSPF, Erich von dem Bach)

16.09.1942 1939 Spange zum 1914 Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse

24.05.1942 1939 Spange zum 1914 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse

13.07.1916 1914 Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse

28.08.1914 1914 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse

04.10.1915 Kgl. W?rttembergische Goldenes Tapferkeitsmedaille

10.11.1942 Tapferkeitsauszeichnung f?r Ostv?lker I. Klasse in Silber mit Schwertern

09.10.1942 Tapferkeitsauszeichnung f?r Ostv?lker II. Klasse in Silber mit Schwertern

19.03.1944 Nahkampfspange I. Stufe (Bronze)

00.00.1939 Deutsches Spanienkreuz in Silber mit Schwertern

00.00.1944 Bandenkampfabzeichen in Silber

00.06.1943 Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Silber

09.07.1943 Verwundetenabzeichen, 1939 in Gold

30.04.1918 Verwundetenabzeichen, 1918 in Schwarz

ca. 1934 Ehrenkreuz f?r Frontk?mpfer

00.00.194_ Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP in Bronze

00.00.19__ Ehrenwinkel f?r alte K?mpfer

00.00.1944 (?) Order of the War Victory Cross (Slovakia)

00.00.193_ Military Service Cross (Spain)

00.00.193_ Medalla de la Campa?a de Espa?a

Many thanks for your help. I recommand to read this excellent book. A very scientist book. I have met the autor several years ago. It's a pleasure to read such book.

Regards

Christophe

• 1 month later...

Hi Humberto,

Sorry for the late, but I read so many books in same time.

The thesis of Dirlewanger's death is : He dies from injuries from his Polish jailers. This is the official thesis in this book. For this the autor used some reports from National Archives in Germany and Poland.

This book is very very interresting. If you can read french I advise you to read it. We learn a lot about philosophy of Hunting and how the men of Dirlewanger used the tactical of hunting to catch and kill a lot of people.

Regards

Christophe

Hi Humberto,

Sorry for the late, but I read so many books in same time.

The thesis of Dirlewanger's death is : He dies from injuries from his Polish jailers. This is the official thesis in this book. For this the autor used some reports from National Archives in Germany and Poland.

This book is very very interresting. If you can read french I advise you to read it. We learn a lot about philosophy of Hunting and how the men of Dirlewanger used the tactical of hunting to catch and kill a lot of people.

Regards

Christophe

Thank you very much for remember my question and help me with!! and dont worry, later is better than never!

unfortunately I cant read french but I am sure that somewhere must be a book in english about him.

about the thesis of Dirlewanger's death, could you please tell me if in your book explain why he was prisioner of Polish jailers? and where they came from ?

thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry to answer only now, but I have given my book to one of my friend and he give it back only yesterday.

Dirlewanger was taken prisonner by French soldiers in Souabe in june 1945. He was in Althausen camp. He was taken prisonner after a jew proclaim him to French autority. This jew was a survivor of Dzikow camp and he recognize Dirlewanger. During his captivity, Dirlewanger was interrogate by French and Polish soldiers. The Polish claims to judge all the people who were at the head of concentration camp. That's an explanation.

The jailers beat Dirlewanger several days and he died from injuries.

I hope that you can find this book one day in english. It's very intrustive. Several years ago I have met this autor, and I remember he was an interresting man.

Regards

Christophe

Hi,

Sorry to answer only now, but I have given my book to one of my friend and he give it back only yesterday.

Dirlewanger was taken prisonner by French soldiers in Souabe in june 1945. He was in Althausen camp. He was taken prisonner after a jew proclaim him to French autority. This jew was a survivor of Dzikow camp and he recognize Dirlewanger. During his captivity, Dirlewanger was interrogate by French and Polish soldiers. The Polish claims to judge all the people who were at the head of concentration camp. That's an explanation.

The jailers beat Dirlewanger several days and he died from injuries.

I hope that you can find this book one day in english. It's very intrustive. Several years ago I have met this autor, and I remember he was an interresting man.

Regards

Christophe

Thank you very much Christophe for your help!! very apreciated!!