News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Robin,

I do not know specifically what this patch is, but I can offer the following thoughts. During the First World War the Germans did wear sleeve patches, but the only examples that would have had a ring around the insignia were related to the navy. Naval ground troops did wear Feldgrau sleeve patches in this style, but they were just gray versions of their normal rate insignia. So I think you can dismiss the wartime period. The early Weimar army also wore sleeve patches with rings and they were used to identify units, as there were no shoulder boards (just a shoulder cord) during this period. There exists a chart of these patches, which I don't have a copy of, but I do have a few examples of the sleeve patches. They have chainstitched unit numbers with colored outer rings, which denote the branch of the service. Your patch may be from this period, and perhaps the gray ring denotes Kraftfahrtruppen. So my guess would be armoured car personnel from that period.

Perhaps you already know what this patch is and are asking the question rhetorically, but that is my best guess.

Chip

Robin,

So does this mean I have guessed the correct time period? It appears that your pictured patch is the same one as pictured in black and white. Notice the same irregular edge to the outline.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Robin,

I have a friend who has a real enlisted Totenkopfpionier sleeve patch and that copy is not even close. Just an FYI.

Chip

There is also an original on a tunic in the military museum at Rastatt........beautifully embroidered in fine silver wire.