News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honduras: Order of Jose Cecilio del Valle

• 3 years later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi 922F!

Do you mean grand officer set? ;)

Thanks,

Nick

Very possibly; but I intended to specify the Grand Cross pieces. I had a GC in gold [gilt] set bought in Honduras in 1996. This high quality insignia had a Cejalvo maker plate on the star reverse, silver fineness marks on the badge ring & star pin and a Cejalvo printed label on the inside case lid. The sash was the same as that shown in Megan's image. The case was colored green in a shade similar to that of the sash. I visited the orders chancery in summer 1996; officials kindly showed me a few pieces of this order, among other things. All workmanship was similar to the GC pieces pictured in Megan's first posts. And yes, the GO stars had 5 point stars attached to the badge in the same fashion as Sr. Zaratiegui's star! Attractive but not too practical.

Sr. Zaratiegui's Grand Officer set does not appear to have as good quality enamel work as pieces seen in 1996, perhaps it even has epoxy type enamel--note especially the lack of definition in the central disc map & motto ring enamel work. The GO ribbon appears to have a different green hue--ones I saw were of the same duller green hue as the GC sash with silver color stripes in place of the gold color ones in the sash. 1996 Commander cravat ribbons were of the same green hue as the sash, without side stripes. Cravat ties were similar to those of Sr. Zaratiegui's, of a thinner , non-ribbed, satin material.

Maybe another maker supplied Juan Zaratiegui's insignia or Cejalvo's quality has declined?

Maybe another maker supplied Juan Zaratiegui's insignia or Cejalvo's quality has declined?

Thanks. Indeed grand officer set looks like it has cold enamel and made in white metal.

Not typical quality for Cejalvo's pieces.

But then again... Modern pieces could have inferior quality...

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks. Indeed grand officer set looks like it has cold enamel and made in white metal.

Not typical quality for Cejalvo's pieces.

But then again... Modern pieces could have inferior quality...

Cheers,

Nick

Have seen some Cejalvo, Cravanzola, da Costa, Eng Leong, and Guccione attributed work made in the past year or so; their quality remains fairly high/consistent with what they've done in the past decade. That is, hot enamel and even, in a few cases, sub-enamel metal [champlevé ] work. It appears that several countries decided to encourage their own economies and so turned to national or regional manufacturers--Madagascar springs to mind. Brazilian and Peruvian firms, at least, are working the general Central/South American market. All Madagascar and most Brazilian and Peruvian recent product seems to have flat epoxy type enamel.

It appears that several countries decided to encourage their own economies and so turned to national or regional manufacturers...

Encourage their own economies...

Maybe, but most likely its just another example of a cut in expenditure ...

I hate when they do it...

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody. I was amazed by the replies to this post by Megan.

I have the original set that was awarded to me, manufactured by "Industrias de la Riva, Guatemala" They are the ones posted by Megan. The old jewels were manufactured by "Joyeros Artesanos Cejalvo, Madrid" but the Honduran Government does not use this provider any more.

Here is a picture of a recently manufactured Cejalvo set, with the badge, star, miniatures and rosette.

There is a significant design difference between the two sets. The golden stars in the De la riva set are ouside the star, which is the same size of the badge. I guess for manufacturing savings. In the Cejalvo set, the star is bigger than the badge, and the stars are placed inside the piece. Cejalvo continues to manufacture the sets to order.
    Joyas_Orden_Jose_Cecilio_del_Valle.JPG

I have the original set that was awarded to me, manufactured by "Industrias de la Riva, Guatemala" They are the ones posted by Megan. The old jewels were manufactured by "Joyeros Artesanos Cejalvo, Madrid" but the Honduran Government does not use this provider any more.

Hi Juan,

thank you for this info and photo! :beer:

Will it be possible for you to show the reverses?

Best regards,

Nick

P.S. Nice AK ;)