News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A German Jeweler dealing in antique silver has looked this badge over and also tested the silver and says it meets the 800 standard perfectly. Actually he said they are always a little bit over 800. He also stated the gilt used was a "cheap" gilt used during the war that he has seen on many badges. He also said the stamps are done absolutely correctly for the period.

Gentlemen,

just a few thoughts about the maker mark without the serifs.

I think the maker mark on Vic?s badge is correct. There is an interesting offer on http://www.germaniainternational.com/kmiscellaneous.html . A spoon and a fork is offered. Both are marked with H.Schaper http://www.germaniainternational.com/image...rkimpregt05.jpg . There are no serifs on this maker mark !

The spoon and fork are genuine and period, imo, I?ve seen a lot like this. The spade pattern (Spatenmuster) of the grip was very common in that time. The marking IF 148 stands for Infanterie Regiment 148 (not J?ger... ).

This is the Westpreussisches Infanterie Regiment 148. In my Imperial ranklist Hauptmann Grau is listed as an officer of that regiment. I think this is a proof that the non-serif maker mark is correct and from the time around 1912. I?m not saying that the one with serifs are bad, just thinking that the one posted is genuine as well. Just a few thoughts.

Best;

Dutch

Edited by Flyingdutchman

It's a pretty badge, Vic. How much did you say you are on the hook for? Or did you say? Not that it doesn't lead to more self-doubt. I'd pull the trigger for 750 or less because it wouldn't be hard to get my money out on a piece that is such a looker. But then why is it going for so cheap? 900 or above and I'd wait for a group with great provenance...even if it took years. I wouldn't be in a hurry to amass loose badges in this market. :rolleyes:

You are not a rare variant collector, right?

Edited by Luftmensch

We just need one badge, but this one looks really good in the details which I always like. But I'm a dagger guy . The badge is on approval, we do not need to purchase at all.

Edited by Vic Diehl

• 1 year later...

Rick: Thanks for your input, I did not even know this maker. Here are couple more shots from the seller

Sorry but I dont like the badge. from what I can see the hook by the crown in back is missing (H.Schaper Trademark). The hook is wrong and too far up the badge, the hinge is wrong (too wide). The H.Schaper does not have the letters with serif and the H. Shaper stamping is too spread out.

I have a real one in Ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-GERMAN-WW1-NA...1742.m153.l1262

With all due respect I think you have it the wrong way round. The badge in this thread is fine . The genuine Schaper examples SHOULD have the pin catch further up the reverse than the one you are selling.Not all Schaper badges have a loop on the top of thereverse (especially solid silver ones). IMO the one you are auctioning is not a correct period badge. These are seen alot and the general opinion is that they are modern copies. Ferg1.

• 4 years later...