News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Hauptmann in Reserve Feldartillerie No 47

Well gent's I hope I haven't bored you with this grouping. There remains a couple of things that I have to find still. Paul's Medal Bar and Ribbon Bar :banger:

Now if that could be achieved then I would be one very happy bunny.

Thank you all for looking and providing the additional information. It's much appreciated.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Check out the date on his Austrian WW1 Commemorative !!!

Five more days, and there WAS no Austria! :speechless1:

Hi Mike,

the world is a small place :o

I am from Recklinghausen and so it is nice to see this group from a former citizen of my hometown :beer:

His old flat at Goethestreet 4 is a parallel street of my office. Tomorrow I`ll see if the old house is still standing or if it was destroyed during the bombing in WW2!

greetings

eitze

Chip, Doohhhhhh I feel so silly, a slip of country on my behalf. :speechless:

Eitze,

It would be fantastic if his old house was still there :jumping: But even nicer to discover that it was still owned by his family :speechless1: If the property does still survive, could you take a photo of it for me please?

Guest Rick Research

It's odd how BITS go missing from what are otherwise remaarkably intact groups. Along with the missing Hiundeburg Cross X document, he would have received first the 25 years and then the 40 years Treudienst Crosses of 1938-43, and I'd have expected a vital wartime industries upper manager like him to have acquired a civil KVK2 as well during the Second war-- since he was apparently plugging along still at 70.

It's odd how BITS go missing from what are otherwise remaarkably intact groups. Along with the missing Hiundeburg Cross X document, he would have received first the 25 years and then the 40 years Treudienst Crosses of 1938-43, and I'd have expected a vital wartime industries upper manager like him to have acquired a civil KVK2 as well during the Second war-- since he was apparently plugging along still at 70.

Those were my thoughts also Rick. I did miss out on some things from the original seller. He told me later that he had also sold the documents and awards to Paul's eldest son who was killed in action on a U boat. There was also a photograph of Paul Stein with G?ring that had been published in a newspaper of the time.

Rick, can you answer a question for me please. In the photo's I have, Pauls ribbon bar shows 4 awards. Would the long service ribbon be the 1st class of the Landwehr DA with the gold/yellow side stips? Or the normal plain blue ribbon. It's hard to make it out on the photo.

:Cat-Scratch: Check out the date on his Austrian WW1 Commemorative !!!

Five more days, and there WAS no Austria! :speechless1:

Yeah-that's what jumped out at me too. That's almost certainly one of the last 100 medals awarded by the old Republic! It gives us a good 'medal count".

:jumping::jumping: :jumping:

Hi Mike,

today I went to Goethestr. with my digicam, but unfortunately No. 4 and 4 a is a big red double house with a couple of flats :(:(

It looks like a house built in the 1970.

Further I checked the register for this new house, but there was no "Stein" ever lived inside.

Also a ckeck for the name "Paul Stein" in the resident register was negative.

Unfortunately the name "Stein" (= stone) is common.

If you wish I could send a note to the archive register, to get the date of his death. But this could last some days.

greetings

eitze

This is a fantastic group indeed!

It warms my heart to see things like this, especially as it seems so lonely out here as a document collector most of the time.

This is what brings the awards to life Chris. Thank heavens that German families looked after their ancesters paperwork .... unlike most British families, who just thought it was junk to be thrown away.

Documents are the backbone of History.

Hi Mike,

today I went to Goethestr. with my digicam, but unfortunately No. 4 and 4 a is a big red double house with a couple of flats :(:(

It looks like a house built in the 1970.

Further I checked the register for this new house, but there was no "Stein" ever lived inside.

Also a ckeck for the name "Paul Stein" in the resident register was negative.

Unfortunately the name "Stein" (= stone) is common.

If you wish I could send a note to the archive register, to get the date of his death. But this could last some days.

greetings

eitze

Eitze,

What a shame that the house was most probably destroyed in WWII. Thank you for checking it out for me. I would be very grateful if you could check the archive register for the date of Paul Stein's death. Of course any costs I will be happy to reimburse you for. Thank you for your interest and help.

Many thanks, Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

Eitze,

What a shame that the house was most probably destroyed in WWII. Thank you for checking it out for me. I would be very grateful if you could check the archive register for the date of Paul Stein's death. Of course any costs I will be happy to reimburse you for. Thank you for your interest and help.

Many thanks, Mike

Mike,

I`ve send a letter to them today; let`s see if they can find him!

greetings

eitze

• 3 months later...

Rick, can you answer a question for me please. In the photo's I have, Pauls ribbon bar shows 4 awards. Would the long service ribbon be the 1st class of the Landwehr DA with the gold/yellow side stips? Or the normal plain blue ribbon. It's hard to make it out on the photo.

I'm still trying to work this one out Rick. What is your opinion, 1st class or second?

Edited by Mike Huxley

Guest Rick Research

He's wearing his 4 ribbon bar in "Super Prussian" precedence--

EK2

LD1 (dark blue comes out looking light in old photo processing)

Lippe Cross (the red and yellow blur together as solid dark leaving only the white edges)

Austrian MMC wWD

:cheers:

He's wearing his 4 ribbon bar in "Super Prussian" precedence--

EK2

LD1 (dark blue comes out looking light in old photo processing)

Lippe Cross (the red and yellow blur together as solid dark leaving only the white edges)

Austrian MMC wWD

Thanks Rick, that's not what I expected. I thought the Lippe Cross was the second award on the bar.

How come he would wear a LD long service award before the Lippe Merit Cross? You've now got me even more confused.

Ahhhhhhhhhh precedence is so confusing :banger: Please explain further

Guest Rick Research

That's what "Super Prussian" was-- all Prussian first, then other German, then foreign awards.

Usually it's war awards, peace awards, foreign awards.

An either/or personal fashion/regulations choice.

maybe easier to visualize in color.

Here is a "Super Prussian" from David S's collection, as worn 1916-17 by Prussian Pioneers staff Oberst Ludwig Meyer (1860-1918):

Prussian awards first--

1)Iron Cross 2nd Class

2)Red Eagle Order 4th Class

3)Prussian XXV Years Service Cross

4)1897 Wilhelm I Centenary Medal

then "foreign" German wartime awards

5)BMV3X (6.7.15)

6)SMK (30.8.16)

7)HT

and finally foreign wartime

8)?M3K

He could just as well have worn these in this precedence-- 1, 5, 6, 7, 2, 3, 4, 8.

More usual is this one:

War awards all together "up front," but then this Brunswick native (as yet unidentified) messes things up by putting his ?CrownOrder/?Prussian Long Service and 1897 Medal AHEAD of his own native peacetime awards-- some grade of the Brunswick House Order, trailed last of all by what is most likely the insanely rare (99 :banger: ) Brunswick Lifesaving Medal. So HIS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 SHOULD have beeen 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 5 (if long service), 6 in correct war/peace precedence.

Also from David's collection, a couple of smaller Super Prussians which are--like the Hauptmann's ribbons--perfectly in Ordnung:

Top: Iron Cross, a Prussian long service award, Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross (probably a Petty Officer's or NCO's bar)

Bottom: Iron Cross and Prussian long service, Anhalt Friedrich Cross, and Saxe-Altenburg's Bravery Medal-- another NCO's bar.