News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Last Respects for a Fallen Storm Trooper

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

From the late Tony Colson's collection.

Was this taken for the storm trooper's family back home, or for his two friends? There is no inscription on back, so I would guess it was kept by one of these two--for whom no added lines would have been needed.

Guest Rick Research

300 dpi, just for you. :beer:

Can't do any better, because it's that bumpy "art finish" paper, so closer just looks like a 3-D topographical map:

Those are either hand grenades or paint brushes. :catjava::cheeky:

300 dpi, just for you. :beer:

Can't do any better, because it's that bumpy "art finish" paper, so closer just looks like a 3-D topographical map:

Those are either hand grenades or paint brushes. :catjava::cheeky:

Or Crossed Spades :unsure: Kevin in Deva :D

Edited by Kev in Deva

Rick,

Thanks for the enlargements. :cheers: I have seen other non-regulation Sturmtrupp patches, but normally the heads of the Stielhandgranaten are at the top. Always a pleasure to see previously unknown variations of insignia.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

Perhaps this was specific to Sturm Bn 2? And so any subsequent anonymous photos spotted by the Eagle Eyed can now be attributed to SB 2.

Guest Rick Research

It might be IR 152. That is the one bit I can't read. I think the sign painter ran out of space and squished the numbers together.

If this had been printed on that lovely glossy pre-war paper, details might come out better, but this is the nubby-surfaced art paper finish kind that just looks like bumps up close.

• 7 years later...

I have been trying to track down this burial with the help of friends on another forum, and all that they have come up with is Grenadier Johann Sensenbrenner who died 12th October 1917, buried at  Vouziers, block 3, grave 446...

The coincidence in service title (Grenadier) and DoD, along with the rarity of the name Sensenbrunner, makes it likely that he is the same man, and that his given name was Johann and his common name was Albrecht...

Another step with this one - friends in Sweden and Holland have tied down the chap in the next grave (on the right) - probably  Gefreiter Franz Biell,  buried at Vouziers, block 3, grave 445 (= next to Sensenbrenner, in grave 446). It is probable that the grave on the left, name unreadable in the photograph, could be that of the next person to Sensenbrenner in grave 447 in the Vouziers cemetery, Fahrer Johann Picket,  died 17.10.1917. 

As for Alb.Sensenbrenner, he is listed - as Johann - on the war memorial at his home town of Meissenheim

I have been able to get this far feeding bits of what is on the original photograph to others, and now see that the original poster, Rick Research is no longer alive. I would appreciate it if one of the moderators could direct me to who can give permission to copy this photograph to help further discussion on this man and (more importantly) offer a correction to the entry in the VdK (German War Graves Commission), who list Sensenbrenner simply as 'Johann', and also send it to them for inclusion in their files in case a family member wishes to search these.

Trajan

• 1 month later...