News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Purple Heart

mariner

Nope-true story. Only the guy was a Sergeant (well, he is now) and in a National Guard unit. I spoke to him 2 months ago at the Maine Boy Scout Jamboree. He is now the local recruiter and lives @ 15 miles from my house.

His one other "action" was to watch the aftermath of a suicide bomber after he'd been shot running towards the guard post at the base.

Hi Ulster, nice to hear from you again.....

So basically its down to the discretion of your commander at the time, whether he/she deems that you participation in an incident, and the incident in general is worthy of said award? There appears to be no hard & fast rules? :speechless:

Gordon.

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have reviewed AR 670-1 & AR 600-8-22.

The Awards for the Combat Infantry & Combat Medical Badges are consistent one to the other.

One award only is authorized for the periods ? WWII (1941-45), Korea (1950-53), Vietnam Era Conflicts (1961-95 through Somalia) & War on Terror beginning with Afghanistan including the two Iraqi conflicts with no end date established.

The Combat Action Badge is recently established and applies only to the last period.

These groupings dictate eligibility for multiple awards.

There is provision for a soldier to win all three and wear two of the three if one is the CMB. All three must involve engagement with the enemy. If more than one combat badge is awarded it must be for different service assignments - not simultaneous.

Generals are not eligible for the CIB or CMB.

Special Forces Medical MOS personnel are eligible to exchange CMB for CIB for action subsequent to September '01 until June '06. After June '06, SF Medical personnel (MOS 18D) will be eligible for the CIB but not the CMB.

CIB relates to assignment to Infantry units to include Special Forces, Infantry Squads of ground cavalry organizations and the like. Officers (other than infantry) on ?temporary detail? to infantry units who meet all other criteria may be awarded the CIB.

A soldier may wear a maximum of 5 badges of varying types as follows:

Either CIB, EIB or CAB

and

Either CMB or EMB

and

One from Astronaut, Aviator, Flight Surgeon, Aviation (formerly flight crew), Explosive Ordnance

and

Up to 3 from Glider, Parachutist, Pathfinder, Free Fall, Air Assault, Ranger & Special Forces

and

Up to 2 from the Diver, Driver, Mechanic, Rigger group.

A maximum of 3 badges may be worn on the pocket flap of the dress uniform including marksmanship badges.

Phew - I think I have a headache!

Edited by W McSwiggan

apparently.

I have spoken to a number of guys who have these CABs and most were support troops (clerks, computer techs, truck divers) who were in a combat incident or two (shot at) /and/or got mortared.

:speechless1: The mortar one is a bit lame I think, & by that I mean if a camp is huge like say SLB in Basra was, rounds could land on camp, but be up to a mile away from where the clerk was (he might not even hear them), would this still count.....surely not???

What about the other example, where a lone Iraq fires one pistol round at your vehicle as you drive passed....contact with the enemy?? I assume said incident would have to be called in on the radio in order to count, that being the case I wonder how many incidents like that go unreported, and how many are `beefed` up a bit by rear echelon units, in order to qualify...or am I being a sceptic?

I don't think you are being that skeptical. However, there certainly isn't wholesale awards to entire units going on and there is definetly variations in "scale" depending upon the unit (e.g. the Commander). My friend "We'll give everyone a puppy", Kevin is back from the Afghan mountains this month and he certainly earned his CIB. However, he knows of some guys who did not do that much work to get theirs.

I have reviewed AR 670-1 & AR 600-8-22.

The Awards for the Combat Infantry & Combat Medical Badges are consistent one to the other.

One award only is authorized for the periods – WWII (1941-45), Korea (1950-53), Vietnam Era Conflicts (1961-95 through Somalia) & War on Terror beginning with Afghanistan including the two Iraqi conflicts with no end date established.

The Combat Action Badge is recently established and applies only to the last period.

These groupings dictate eligibility for multiple awards.

There is provision for a soldier to win all three and wear two of the three if one is the CMB. All three must involve engagement with the enemy. If more than one combat badge is awarded it must be for different service assignments - not simultaneous.

Generals are not eligible for the CIB or CMB.

Special Forces Medical MOS personnel are eligible to exchange CMB for CIB for action subsequent to September '01 until June '06. After June '06, SF Medical personnel (MOS 18D) will be eligible for the CIB but not the CMB.

CIB relates to assignment to Infantry units to include Special Forces, Infantry Squads of ground cavalry organizations and the like. Officers (other than infantry) on “temporary detail” to infantry units who meet all other criteria may be awarded the CIB.

A soldier may wear a maximum of 5 badges of varying types as follows:

Either CIB, EIB or CAB

and

Either CMB or EMB

and

One from Astronaut, Aviator, Flight Surgeon, Aviation (formerly flight crew), Explosive Ordnance

and

Up to 3 from Glider, Parachutist, Pathfinder, Free Fall, Air Assault, Ranger & Special Forces

and

Up to 2 from the Diver, Driver, Mechanic, Rigger group.

A maximum of 3 badges may be worn on the pocket flap of the dress uniform including marksmanship badges.

Phew - I think I have a headache!

Right I think that sorts that out...?? Interesting that a medic attached to the SF would get a CIB & not a CMB?

Also that you could wear the CAB & CMB/CIB?

I don't think you are being that skeptical. However, there certainly isn't wholesale awards to entire units going on and there is definetly variations in "scale" depending upon the unit (e.g. the Commander). My friend "We'll give everyone a puppy", Kevin is back from the Afghan mountains this month and he certainly earned his CIB. However, he knows of some guys who did not do that much work to get theirs.

:rolleyes: This speaks volumes.... :unsure:

Almost got it right - not sure I understand the logic in the regulation however you can wear only one from group #1 (group includes CIB, EIB & CAB) and one from group #2 (group includes CMB & EMB).

This translates into CIB & CMB or CAB & CMB but not CAB & CIB...

Right I think that sorts that out...?? Interesting that a medic attached to the SF would get a CIB & not a CMB?

Also that you could wear the CAB & CMB/CIB?