News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sino Soviet Friendship Medals

Guest Rick Research

• Replies 87
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another photo from another group (which has since dissapeared... not the group, but all the paperwork!) Anyway, this fellow (an air force technician) is wearing two Chinese Friendship medals and the Korean War medal...

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Weird ribbon too! I have that same whatever it was ribbon on one of my "normal" gold/plain backs.

An unknown variation on an unknown ribbon! :cheers:

Dave: the training group scribbles I don't get much beyond that they ARE Chinese "NKOA" studying ...with Soviets... and ending with what appear to be your Colonels initials in order of last name, first name, patronymic. ?????

• 5 weeks later...

Pochupaylo page 2 with his name filled in in Cyrillic. The text in the first line, running down the far right column, refers to something about a 35th year (anniversary of Chinese Communist Party ? ), while down near the bottom of the second from right column is something else about 3 years-- a reference to "sceret" collaboration during the Korean War? I'm afraid spotting numbers is the extent of my Chinese knowledge!

[attachmentid=10508]

Guest Rick Research

Many thanks, Lingqi!! :beer: Your translation is much appreciated! :jumping:

So, now we have a specific place and date and reason CONFIRMED for a 1953 presentation to Admiral Pochupaylo. :jumping:

The green RUSSIAN language award paper on the same month and day but two years later in 1955 MIGHT be a "security" delay of that same 1953 medal OR it could be for a second medal...

we need to find COMPLETE groups with the medals and documents to Soviet recipients fora better understanding of where and why these were awarded. Comrade Paz'inich's large pink "Mao" award document was obviously given someplace else for another reason.

Has anybody got any other type of the large "Mao" award document? The cased "Chou" version all seem to be identical, but here we have seen at least two different varities of award document with facsimile "signature" of Chairman Mao.

• 4 weeks later...

This came in today. A group to Baktibay Zholmukanov with the following awards:

Order of the Great Patriotic War 2nd Class Nr. 1.678.618

Medal for Military Merit Nr. 2.459.158

Medal for Military Merit without s/n

Medal for the Capture of Koenigsberg

Medal for the Capture of Berlin

Medal for Victory over Germany

Medal 30 years of the Soviet Army & Navy

Sino-Soviet Friendship Medal (Version 1951)

The Medals are mounted on two Aluminium suspensions, probably everything re-mounted, when he received his Sino-Soviet Friendship Medal. The Medals were polished, as there are traces left, as you can see on the photos. All of the awards are documented and there is additionally a 1962 Military ID.

First Medalbar:

Guest Rick Research

VERY nice Gerd! Yet ANOTHER specific individual citation type... the year on back is preprinted February 1951, but the space for the day is left blank:

[attachmentid=30891]

His name is given as Zholmukanov, Boris on the second page.

The "? 7.1.74" is something about "per Avers denied inconsistent" and may be nothing but a random scribble. I make no sense of it.

Thank you, Rick. I like it too very much. :jumping: The Medals were proudly worn and show a lot of patina. It talks to you....

I guess, there were a lot of variations for this document. Let?s hunt for different ones :cheers:

Gerd

PS: Will post the other thread tonight or tomorrow latest.

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Here's a new personalized variant in today, with a solid plexiglas cover over the rigid Soviet style ribbon mount:

The wearer or his next of kin went to some effort to scratch off the final digit in the year. Apparently even the back side of his own suit was not supposed to admit to having been there during the Korean War!

Inverting the color appears to show the shadow of an obliterated "3" there. The ribbon star appears to have been laboriously etched into the solid reverse of the thick plastic and then painted to resemble the original metal star.

A LOT of work here for a secretive former "Not There" Almost WW3 veteran.

• 1 year later...