News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Paul

I scaned it flanked by 2 medical SB's to show the diff in blue. But then upon further reaserch I find that these are for a supply officer, and their attachment is "Mercury's Staff" and is listed in the same waffenfarbe as medical staff. So the diff in color is probably a manufacture thing.

Mercury delivered his messages with miraculous speed because he wore winged sandals. He also wore a broad-brimmed hat and carried a winged staff. Mercury's staff had snakes curled around it to protect him in his travels.

Some more info. In January 1944 the Army instituted a new career for officers and certain officials entitled TSD. This new career used a blue waffenfarbe and did away with secondary colors as worn by officials in other careers. On 1 May 1944 all high grade career Administrative officials were transfered to the TSD.

Edited by Laurence Strong

• Replies 97
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Just to confuse things :cheeky: here are NAVY boards for a Korvettenkapit?n (V) from before the war-- this is what their Paymaster Corps turned into circa 1935/36. Same device, years earlier, and here the dark blue is for the naval uniform color, not a Waffenfarbe.

[attachmentid=14472]

[attachmentid=14473]

If I am interpreting the 1944 TSD change correctly, what happened was that the army and air force FOLLOWED the navy and switched over their supply and pay corps ONLY to match THIS navy "Verwaltungs" use of insignia. Other branches of army and air force administration (construction, education, pharmaceutical, and so on) seem not to have been affected.

(Confusing things even more :speechless1: -- while in the navy this insignia for officers indicated Paymasters, for ratings it indicated COOKS! After the war the DDR's CUSTOMS service used this same Mercury Staff insignia! While in America, this insignia and NOT the snake up a branch is commonly used for MEDICAL services on ambulances and so on! :speechless: )

Just to confuse things :cheeky: here are NAVY boards for a Korvettenkapit?n (V) from before the war-- this is what their Paymaster Corps turned into circa 1935/36. Same device, years earlier, and here the dark blue is for the naval uniform color, not a Waffenfarbe.

If I am interpreting the 1944 TSD change correctly, what happened was that the army and air force FOLLOWED the navy and switched over their supply and pay corps ONLY to match THIS navy "Verwaltungs" use of insignia. Other branches of army and air force administration (construction, education, pharmaceutical, and so on) seem not to have been affected.

(Confusing things even more :speechless1: -- while in the navy this insignia for officers indicated Paymasters, for ratings it indicated COOKS! After the war the DDR's CUSTOMS service used this same Mercury Staff insignia! While in America, this insignia and NOT the snake up a branch is commonly used for MEDICAL services on ambulances and so on! :speechless: )

I have never seen those boards until Lawence posted them. They must be pretty rare indeed!

BTW, that General's Board is a real beauty!!

Edited by Paul Reck

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 7 months later...

Thanks heergeezer

these came with the large bunch of Luft shoulder boards I got, however the Feldpost was part of the Wehrmacht Beamten so I am showing them here.

Feldpostbot with the rank of Felwebel with pale-yellow Nebenfabren

Edited by Laurence Strong