News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

colonial service ribbonbar - what do you think?

can get this ribbonbar - should i get it?

- but i have a question first, why is there no long service award - centenial + china + dswa need a long service decoration? - and why a white/black ribbon + a mvo with swords on the same clasp? - and is the mvo from ww1 like the hamburg cross?

ok, more than one question but i hope you can help me on it. christian

Hi Christian... I am trying to remember where I saw this and why I hesitated. Give me a moment or two. Even without a LS award, the combination is possible, but not probable.

Odd to have a post 1913 Bavarian ribbon for combat with a NC EK2. Other issues as well....

Easily possible. He still did not have 25 years in service in 1914 so he had to wait for his XXV until the early 20ies.

BMV4X (Lt to Captains level) can be a colonial one with the upgraded M1913 war ribbon or a WW1 award.

Traceable? MAYBE, but I?m not sure.

Best regards

Daniel

Guest Rick Research

It's a WW1 metal backing, but what bothers me is a noncombatant EK (it is unlikely to be anything else) with a frontline bravery Bavarian MMO4X. Still, even the swords are correct WW1 Bavarian "bound" style and appear to be silver. I'd have had no problems with this if the Bavarian ribbon was the Kriegsverdienst/Beamtenband.

It is dazzlingly minty fresh, but that could be what we always hope for. I think you will need to have it IN HAND, blacklight it, and so on.

The two colonial medals are almost certainly steels-- as a pair with no colonial decorations, they almost always are. The "under XXV" years service does explain the absence of a long service award on a wartime bar-- which this appears to be. I just wonder about the Bavarian ribbon with a "white black" EK-- and wonder if the outfitter simply used the wrong ribbon at the time-- I doubt many non-Bavarian suookuers would have stocked BMMO war merit ribbon!

I think this translates to:

"GO for it"!

Provided it's not a "bank-breaker", then check it out good and give us better scans.... could be a gem. I don't know why it's clanging such a bell for me...... maybe it's a good bell for a change!

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

I think you should send it to me for

several years

of "intensive study."

As long as none of the white glows under blacklight... it looks Extremely Strange But Good. Like I said already, I just can't understand a "white-black" EK with a frontline BMVO4X, but maybe THAT was supposed to have been on the "Beamtenband" for Kriegsverdienst and the ribbon bar maker used the common stock ribbon by mistake.

Guest Rick Research

Entirely so--

wrong ribbon

no Prussian colonial "mit Xs" awards.

In the absence of Prussian Xs, I would take the SW Africa and Chinas to be steels, not bronzes. That would be consistent with the "white black" EK to some sort of administrative official.

Hmmmmmmm, he ponders deeply and asks........ why would this not be an "upgraded" MVK reflecting the later issuance of swords/war ribbon ca. 1913...... ?????????

This would also coincide nicely with the thought that our man is wearing his LS Bar ca. 1913 style on a Schnalle...

hhhmmmmmmmm

Guest Rick Research

Nope, wrong ribbon for a desk type.

OK, so I have a photo of a 1914 "white-blacK' EK2 winner with a 1918 black wound badge :speechless1: (from the Evil Ricky Collection :rolleyes: ) but still extremely unlikely to get a frontline COMBAT award from another state and "only" a Rear Area Hero gong from one's own. Yes, we see mixed groups BUT

do not forget that the Bavarian MVO$X rolls to "captains an equivalents up" (as this man would have been) are published....