News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swaziland Orders & Decorations

James Hoard

Does anyone have details of the Swazi orders and decorations?

It seems that there are at least four orders, as follows:

The Royal Order of King Sobhuza II: founded by King Sobhuza II in 1975. Awarded in three (?) classes (1. Grand Counsellor, 2. Chief Counsellor, 3. Counsellor).

The Swazi Royal Family Order: founded by King Mswati III before 2003. Awarded in a single class to senior members of the Swazi Royal Family only.

The Royal Order of Eswatini: founded by King Mswati III before 2003. Awarded in five classes (1. Grand Commander, 2. Grand Officer, 3. Commander, 4. Officer, and 5. Member).

The Order of the Swazi Crown: founded by King Mswati III before 2003. Awarded in five classes (1. Grand Commander, 2. Grand Officer, 3. Commander, 4. Officer, and 5. Member).

Looking at the chests of Swazi police and army officers, it also looks like they have an awful lot of medals nowadays.

Cheers,

James Hoard

Hi James,

Here is a little info, not much right now, might help a bit.

Decorations

Umbutfo Swaziland Defence Force Medal for Distinguished Service (1980- )

Umbutfo Swaziland Defence Force Medal for Meritorious Service (1980- )

Long Service Medal

Umbutfo Swaziland Defence Force Long Service Medal (1980- )

5 CONFERMENT OF HONOURS AND MEDALS

5.1 Your Majesty, may I on behalf of the members of the Royal Swaziland Police Service sincerely thank His Majesty for conferment of honours and Medals to the members of the police service, in recognition of distinguished, bravery, meritorious and long service.

5.2 They were in the following categories; 4 Distinguished Service medals, 9 Meritorious Service Medal, 1 Somhlolo bravery and 292 police officers of all ranks were honoured with long service medals.

5.3 May I also extend gratitude for the Royal Honours, The Royal Order of Eswatini which were awarded to 4 members of the Police Service during the 35th Birthday of His Majesty and the 35th Anniversary of Independence last year.

Regards Eddie

Here's what I have on the subject:

Civil/General

Royal Order of Sobhuza II (18.06.1975- ) -- for outstanding service to Swaziland; three classes: Grand Counsellor, Chief Counsellor, Counsellor.

Somhlolo Award for Bravery -- appears to be awarded to civilians, police, prisons service. and defence force.

Insignia for Chiefs

King Sobhuza Diamond Jubilee Medal 1981

King Mswati III Coronation Medal 1988

Royal Swaziland Police

King's Police Medal for Distinguished Service (10.12.1971- ) -- for exemplary conduct, exceptional resource and devotion to duty.

Royal Swaziland Police Medal for Meritorious Service (10.12.1971- ) -- for exemplary conduct, resource and devotion to duty.

Royal Swaziland Police Long Service Medal (10.12.1971- ) -- for 18 years service.

Swaziland Prisons

King's Prisons Medal for Distinguished Service (10.12.1971- ) -- for exemplary conduct, exceptional resource and devotion to duty.

Swaziland Prisons Medal for Meritorious Service (10.12.1971- ) -- for exemplary conduct, resource and devotion to duty.

Swaziland Prisons Long Service Medal (10.12.1971- ) -- for 18 years service.

Umbutfo Swaziland Defence Force

USDF Medal for Distinguished Service (11.07.1980- ) -- for exemplary conduct, exceptional resource and devotion to duty.

USDF Medal for Meritorious Service (11.07.1980 - ) -- for exemplary conduct, resource and devotion to duty.

USDF Long Service Medal (11.07.1980 - ) -- for 18 years service.

The other orders are new to me - thanks for the info.

Thanks Arthur, that is very useful to have.

If you like I can send you some photographs of the King wearing some of these orders.

I tried posting them but they take up too much memory. If I cut them down to size, you will not be able to see very much.

Cheers,

James

Does anyone have pictures of these Orders and Medals?

Doc

As I said, I tried posting some pictures of the King wearing orders but they were too big.

Here is my second atempt.

Full view

Close up.

The star on the right breas appears to be the Royal Order of Sobhuza II. The star on the bottom left breast is his Order of St John of Jerusalem, to which he was appoined on 11.11.1991, but the collar chain is unknown to me. The star on the top left breast is obviously one of the newer orders, but which one?

Cheers,

James

Now here is a further mystery.

A picture of the present King's father Sobhuza II with the last but one British Commissioner, Sir Brian Marwick. The latter is obviously not wearing his KBE which he received in June 1963.

Sobhuza was made a CBE in 1950 and KBE in 1966, but he seems to wearing an entirely different and unidentifiable breast star and neck badge. Could Swaziland already have insituted the Royal Order of Sobhuza II or another order around that period?

Cheers,

James

The star on the right breas appears to be the Royal Order of Sobhuza II. The star on the bottom left breast is his Order of St John of Jerusalem, to which he was appoined on 11.11.1991, but the collar chain is unknown to me. The star on the top left breast is obviously one of the newer orders, but which one?

The star on the right breast is indeed the Royal Order of Sobhuza II. That on the left breast is the South African Order of Good Hope.

As I said, I tried posting some pictures of the King wearing orders but they were too big.

Here is my second atempt.

Full view

Close up.

Cheers,

James

Is this King Mswati III and which Princess is this?

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Thank you, James for the great pictures!

On this photo Sobhusa II with order on the sash. It's first time I've seen that man wears the order without cloth! :lol:

Regards, IVB.

I think he may well have been caught unawares. He was given the GCMG as a bit of a surprise present from the Queen on his Diamond Jubilee. Princess Margaret had travelled all the way out there especially and he wasn't told that he was going to receive the order beforehand.

Nevertheless, he was a hugely dignified man. Equally at home in full uniform, evening dress or a grass skirt. In the 1920s and 1930s he would have been dressed in a Household Cavalry uniform with a shining helmet and plumes.

Cheers,

James

I think he may well have been caught unawares. He was given the GCMG as a bit of a surprise present from the Queen on his Diamond Jubilee. Princess Margaret had travelled all the way out there especially and he wasn't told that he was going to receive the order beforehand.

Nevertheless, he was a hugely dignified man. Equally at home in full uniform, evening dress or a grass skirt. In the 1920s and 1930s he would have been dressed in a Household Cavalry uniform with a shining helmet and plumes.

Cheers,

James

Which Order Did he receive? GCMG- Grand Cross ... ...?

:beer: Doc

Actually, the nicknames for the various levels of the Order of St Michael & St George were in common use, certainly within both the Home Civil Service and the Foreign Office, for some considerable time before Yes, Minister was aired.

For those who don't know them:

CMG = Call Me God

KCMG = Kindly Call Me God

GCMG = God Calls Me God

Actually, the nicknames for the various levels of the Order of St Michael & St George were in common use, certainly within both the Home Civil Service and the Foreign Office, for some considerable time before Yes, Minister was aired.

True, but the wikipedia article quotes "Yes Minister" as its source.

The explanations actually arose not from the Foreign or Home Civil Service, but in the Colonial Service. Due, largely, to the ascending power of the recipients as they climbed the career ladder. Best described in terms of their power over life and death. The order was not usually conferred on members of the Home Civil Service and Foreign Office diplomats did not hold power.

I think it was either Sir Bede Clifford or Sir Harry Luke who first wrote about the usages in their memoirs.

Could well be right, James - I learned those names from my father, who did in fact have a brief secondment to the Colonial Office although most of his career was in the Home Civil Service. Most civil servants, at least those with any interest in gongs, would recognise the terminology, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not know which order this sash belongs to, but my guess is that it goes with the second star on the King's left breast. The first star on the right appears to be the Swazi Royal Family Order.

Cheers,

James

Hello the red sash with a central yellow stripe is the sash of Order of E'Swatini (the Military Order of Swaziland).It is manufactured by Cleave & Co from London ,who have a display frame with all the grade of this Order in their waiting room.Quality of workmanship is excellent.

Emmanuel