News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Endley Collection : Part 2 : World War One

• 1 month later...

Absolutely fantastic, as the others have already said.

Here's a small item of mine that has a kind of connection to your kit. It may not be immediately obvious why from the first picture, but hopefully the second will make things clear...

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thank you for the kind comments.

Due to work and travel commitments I have not posted for a while so I will attempt to add some updates over the next few weeks.

Regards,

Will

MY SECOND OFFICER SHOWCASE

The fancy revolver display is to hide the fact that I cannot find the glove to make up the pair.

The binoculars are attributed to Captain Rose of the South African Medical Corps and the broken eyepiece and hole in the binocular case were caused by a German bullet. He survived to tell the tale.

The ADC brassard came from Mervyn Mitton a few years back.

The Captain's tunic is in excellent condition for its age.

The dirk and other items were private purchases made by an officer in the SA Scottish. I also have his sword.

• 5 weeks later...

After they had been injured or wounded or were ill, British and Commonwealth soldiers who were in military hospitals or convalescent homes were issued with a specific uniform.

This uniform was designed to distinguish these convalescent soldiers from other serving soldiers who were healthy and the uniform became known as "hospital blues".

Soldiers wore their own regimental or corps headdress and badges. In very cold wather, the normal issue greatcoat ws worn.

An issue of the uniform usually consisted of a white shirt with red tie, bright blue waistcoat, trousers and jacket.

These items are in my collection.

The scale is approximately 1:72 for the diarama.

It was constructed by a friend of mine who unfortunately died last year.

The purpose of the diarama was to depict a typical layout of the trench systems used on the Western Front and contains the layouts used and also depicts some of the forces and scenes involved that were typical of trench life and the routines involved.

I will post some photographs showing some of the detail.

• 2 months later...

Fantastic collection.

I hope you have smoke alarms!!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the comments.

The insurance company requirements are very strict and regular inspections take place.

Regards,

Will

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Will,

Thank you for sharing this outstanding collection. I really admire they way you display your items,

something I now plan to improve in my collection. I also collect items related to my county, WWI or

WWII, but they are hard to find.

This is how many museums have started.

Reg

Hinrik Steinsson

Reykjavik

Iceland

Well, it's no wonder the jo'burg war museum is a bit thin on stock. You've got everything avaliable.

When i was a kid i used to dream what i would take from the Museum if I could spend the night there.

I should have been dreaming about your collection...wow. One can only hope that this history and these

items are saved for future generations of South Africans, who like me grew up with an interest in Delville Wood, Rebellion

uitlanders, bittereinders and block houses in the veld.

Many Thanks for letting us see this.

Regards

Strapper

• 2 weeks later...