News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Working on recreating Saddam's Medal Bar

Doc

Yes this one is my friend's, I have enough of each medal to make 3 medal bars, I just want to keep them in their original state. If Chris can get us the mounting system 190mm I will be happy to put one together.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

I laid mine out overlapping 1/3 and It measures 220mm. It's 240 mm if I use 1/4 ribbon overlap.

I also noticed that your friend's bar, while beautiful, has different ribbon overlaps. Some medals are 1/3 overlap. Some are Half overlap. These different size overlap suggests that he used the mounting bar he could find and squeezed the medals to fit.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lorenzo,

I laid mine out overlapping 1/3 and It measures 220mm. It's 240 mm if I use 1/4 ribbon overlap.

I also noticed that your friend's bar, while beautiful, has different ribbon overlaps. Some medals are 1/3 overlap. Some are Half overlap. These different size overlap suggests that he used the mounting bar he could find and squeezed the medals to fit.

beer.gif Doc

Well let me ask my Friend William Endly his set was displayed at the South African Military Museum a few years ago, we can ask him and compare....

Lorenzo

Easily, but i'd need to have some dimensions of the ribbons to get the right sized bar. I'll send you an email with what i require.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Are you saying that you need the width of each ribbon or the width of the ribbons when the medals are laid out the way they would be mounted?

I could calc off of the single ribbon width but it would save me time if you just gave me the total width of the layout. Do you guys need to have swing mount bars from the 70's or would a current manufacture piece do they're the same thing just newer? I can get the new one very easy as the British base down the roads has a bunch in the tailors shop.

Cheers

Chris

I could calc off of the single ribbon width but it would save me time if you just gave me the total width of the layout. Do you guys need to have swing mount bars from the 70's or would a current manufacture piece do they're the same thing just newer? I can get the new one very easy as the British base down the roads has a bunch in the tailors shop.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

A new bar is just fine for me. I need one 215mm. I really appreciate your help!!! How do I pay? Paypal?

Hi Chris,

A new bar is just fine for me. I need one 215mm. I really appreciate your help!!! How do I pay? Paypal?

beer.gif Doc

Please dont forget about me..

Please let me know who much it is and I will just send it to the same E-mail you gave me before when I sent you the $575.00 for the Second Class Wisam al Rafidain.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Hello Gents

The largest bars they had in stock are 190mm as thats a six place bar (largest standard issue british medal bar). If you want one at 215mm I can have it machined at my buddies shop its not hard to do as i can draft it up on ACAD and he can fab it in the shop. Supplies and my buddies time would run around $20-25cdn a piece would you guys be willing to pay that much?

Cheers

Chris

Hello Gents

The largest bars they had in stock are 190mm as thats a six place bar (largest standard issue british medal bar). If you want one at 215mm I can have it machined at my buddies shop its not hard to do as i can draft it up on ACAD and he can fab it in the shop. Supplies and my buddies time would run around $20-25cdn a piece would you guys be willing to pay that much?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I would need a 240mm bar. The price is fine. Please send me a PM with payment details. Many Thanks!!!

All the Best,

• 2 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

I have made the replica of Saddam's Medal Bar using straight pins, except on the Jadara. It came with the U-Shaped attachment pin. This still needs a little tweaking to get it the way it should be. I will cover the tops of the medals and pins with either felt or red ribbon. I've decided not to use a mounting bar so the Jadara can go back in its leather award case when necessary. I have the plans for the Medal Mounting Bar from Chris...Thanks Chris!!! I will get it made and use it for other sets I have.

Doc

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Thank you for finally posting it my brother, make sure when you have time you post it on the IMF

Thank you

Lorenzo

• 2 months later...

Hi Doc, As a project I can only applaud your efforts, 1st Class. I've followed this thread with interest. However I cannot help wondering why you chose to remember the loss of your friend in this way by recreating Saddam's medals. I personally would have rather replicated your lost friends medals and award bar, than remember the monster responsible everytime you look at it.

Mike