News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"New" old Hansen EK1 variation

It is late for Christmas, but better late than never. This little piece should be winging it's way to me shortly. Here is a variation of a Hansen EK1, I have never seen before. This is apparently the first type that they manufactured. It has a smaller 38mm backplate in the same style but is slightly different. The markings are "M. Hansen" underneath was the 800, crescent moon and crown, but this has been polished/struck out. Then "D.R.G.M" and "Angem.". The last word is an abbreviation for Angemeldet. This means that the pattern has been submitted for DRGM protection but that it has not been registered yet. Sort of like a "Patent Applied For" marking. From what I can find Hansen was given the DRGM number 650006 circa December 1914. This would mean this piece was made in 1914. The only reason that I can think they would remove the silver markings is if the piece was made in a grade of silver less than 800. It was stated to be all silver. (I know the the Germans had a leather shortage in 1914-15 due to the blockade, was there a silver shortage too?) The core is cracked on the left arm as you are looking at it. This would indicate to me that it was worn during the war. I looked at the photo of the "Hansen Horde" and did not see one like this, however it's condition is similar to some from that find. I plan to control the rust problem when I get it. OK, lets get to the good part, the pictures.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Here is a close up of the markings. This makes three variations now. DRGM 650006 with name, DRGM 650006 without name and this one. Makes you wonder, are any more out there?

Dan Murphy

Footnote: I have been researching DRGM numbers and the Hansen DRGM number 650006 dates to approximately December 1914. (The Meybauer screwback with DRGM number 653146 dates to the same period.)

DM

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the reverse. I once worked for a jeweler and learned that if you rub you thumb roughly on a piece and it is silver the tarnish will come off. If silver plate it will not. I tried to remove the tarnish from around the lettering and removed more than I wanted. I then used a little polish to even it out. Oops. Note that there is still a ghost of the markings that were polished out by the maker. Also look at the edges of the cross. On the back they have all been rounded so that it does not snag on the uniform.

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy