News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian Flag - opinions as to age

Hello Everyone,

On a resent trip to Perth (Ottawa area) we found a couple of nice items in the antiques shops of the town. This is a Canadian Ensign my wife spied and purchased for the collection for $35.00. It's in great shape and while I couldn't photograph the whole flag I think you will get the idea of what it looks like and its condition.

The crest, which is shown better in the second photo, and the Union Jack in the upper left-hand corner is the flag I remember as a kid and the flag Canada flew during the Second World War.

Here's a question for the Canadian members, and anyone else who might have an interest.

While it is hard to give an exact date, what date would this flag have to had predated?

A cule is in the second photo.

Regards

Brian

Here's a closer view of the "clue".

What do you think the date is that this flag predates?

I will tell you that not one of my kids (ages 24 to 32...God I'm feeling old) knew the answer to this question.

Regards

Brian

Brian, does the flag pre date 1951 due to the King George Crown? 2014.gif

Hi Muckaroon1960,

Good guess and you are correct,but even farther back than 1951.

You need to look at the coat of arms for the answer.

Regards

Brian

December 9th 1939? :D Lovely flag :beer:

Hi Jim,

Well, it may indeed have been instituted at that time, though I'm not sure. I guess what I should have said is "what is the last date that this flag was current?" You may be going in the wrong direction (date wise)though if you think about the East coast it may give you the answer.

Regards

Brian

After 1905 (Alberta and Saskatchewan are on the crest). Before 1921, when the Canadian coat of arms was authorized. What's on the flag is an amalgamation of the nine provinces' coats of arms, as Canada didn't have one prior to 1921.

So most probably a First World War flag.

Edited by Michael Johnson

After 1905 (Alberta and Saskatchewan or on the crest). Before 1921, when the Canadian coat of arms was authorized. What's on the flag is an amalgamation of the nine provinces' coats of arms, as Canada didn't have one prior to 1921.

So most probably a First World War flag.

Hi Michael,

You've shot right past the date I was looking for and answered the second question I had in mind.

Because the crest had only 9 provincial coats of arms it would predate 1949, the year Newfoundland joined the Dominion. After 1949 there would have had to have been 10 crests. The flag posted was used from 1868-1921 and therefore could very well be a First World War flag. The flag used between 1921 and 1957 did not have all of the coats of arms of the provinces. This variation is pictured below.

Regards

Brian

Gentlemen......

In 1957 the Maple Leaf at the bottom of the crest was changed from Green to Red until 1965.....

Source - GOC website.....

Mike

Hi Mike,

You are, of course, correct. I don't collect flags but you know how it goes, first thing you know you've gotten yourself a small collection. I don't have the 1957 version though I do have the current flag. I should look around for the 1957/65 variation and call it a collection. :whistle: It should not be all that hard to find.

Regards and thanks for adding this information.

Regards

Brian

I - for obvious reasons - feel excluded from this thread ! The subject of 'subliminal terrorism' will be raised urgently with the U.N.

Actually, it's been very interesting to learn the history of your flag - would make good subjects for other countries.

I have a question for you - answer will be much lower down :

What is a collector of flags called ?

VEXIOLOGIST

Gentlemen......

It goes back to the old saying.......

ONE OF AN ITEM IS NICE TO HAVE......

TWO OF AN ITEM IS A COLLECTION.......

THREE OF AN ITEM IS AN OBSESSION........

Boy an I Obsessed...... Or is it Possessed....

Mike

Guest Darrell

Gentlemen......

Mike

Mike, then you have to have more than three of several items .... what's that called?

--> Divorced :o

Gentlemen......

Mike

Hi Mike,

Repeat after me...We are normal...We are normal.

I've heard it put as:

One is a curiosity,

Two is a pair,

Three a collection,

Four is an obsession.

Either version translates as...We are normal...We are normal (normally obsessed that is). ;)

Regards

Brian

Hi Michael,

You've shot right past the date I was looking for and answered the second question I had in mind.

Because the crest had only 9 provincial coats of arms it would predate 1949, the year Newfoundland joined the Dominion. After 1949 there would have had to have been 10 crests. The flag posted was used from 1868-1921 and therefore could very well be a First World War flag. The flag used between 1921 and 1957 did not have all of the coats of arms of the provinces. This variation is pictured below.

Regards

Brian

But because there are nine crests it can't be earlier than 1905. In actual fact it wouldn't be earlier than late 1907, when Alberta received its coat of arms (Saskatchewan got theirs a year earlier). Give another year at the other end, and I think you're looking at a maximum window of 1907-1922, and four of those years, and doubtless the most flag-intensive, were the war years.

Edited by Michael Johnson

But because there are nine crests it can't be earlier than 1905. In actual fact it wouldn't be earlier than late 1907, when Alberta received its coat of arms (Saskatchewan got theirs a year earlier). Give another year at the other end, and I think you're looking at a maximum window of 1907-1922, and four of those years, and doubtless the most flag-intensive, were the war years.

Hi Michael,

That's true, I forgot about the Western Provinces.

My apologies to our members out West.

Regards

Brian

Gentlemen.......

Thought I would throw this into the pot as well.....

Purchased at an antique show a number of years ago a strip of 20 flags that had been used as bunting so printed on one side and small in size......

Seven Provincial Crests...... The newest being Manitoba...... Sometime between Manitoba and British Columbia?????

Mike