News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please can you help me identify this WWII soldierCan anyone tell me anything about this WWII officer? Here are three photographs of a WWII officer.

Can anyone tell me anything about this WWII officer?

Here are three photographs of a WWII officer.

The first is the main photo.

The second is a close-up of his cap badge.

The third is a close-up of his epaulets.

I believe the photo of of my step-grandfather but I know very little about him except that his surname was ’Clarke’ and his forenames were ’Arthur Cecil’. The problem is, there is a very famous author called ’Arthur Cecil Clarke’ so whenever I google information about this soldier, I get information about the writer.

I believe he was at Dunkirk and then in the Far East during WWII.

Can you tell me - what regiment he was in? What rank he holds at the time of the photo?

http://www.imagedump.com/view.php?file=562029.jpg

http://www.imagedump.com/view.php?file=562031.jpg

http://www.imagedump.com/view.php?file=562030.jpg

Good Morning......

First of all let me say that the photos in Image Dump did not show.....

From the picture that did show:

He is a Colonel, Staff Officer and from the angle looks like he is wearing a 1939-1945 Star ribbon......

Note this medal was initially called the 1939-1943 Star and the ribbon was produced long before the medal.....

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

A post script......

A person of that rank may or should have rec'd at some time towards the end of the war a Distinguished Service Order or an Officer of the British Empire for services..... I tried a quick London Gazzette search but the name was very common and was unable to find anything.....

Mike

Thank you. That's a lot of information.

I also know - or have heard - the following:

He was originally in the Royal Engineers.

At Dunkirk, he was the one who came up with the idea of driving lorries into the sea and placing boards over the top so men could embark directly onto the boats.

He was then posted to the War Office (while on a bus with his step-daughter who become my mother, an officious old lady poked him in the chest and called him a 'whitehall warror' until the conductor told her to look at his sleeve where he had "wound stripes")

He then went to India. I don't know what he did there.

After the war he went to New Zealand and became harbour-master of Christchurch or Aukland Harbour.

But that's all I know of him unfortunately. Because his name is so common - definitely 'Clarke' and I am pretty sure about 'Arthur' and 'Cecil' - I have not been able to learn anything more.

To view the images on office dump you need an key word which is 'officer'.

At Dunkirk, he was the one who came up with the idea of driving lorries into the sea and placing boards over the top so men could embark directly onto the boats.

He was then posted to the War Office (while on a bus with his step-daughter who become my mother, an officious old lady poked him in the chest and called him a 'whitehall warror' until the conductor told her to look at his sleeve where he had "wound stripes")

After the war he went to New Zealand and became harbour-master of Christchurch or Aukland Harbour.

But that's all I know of him unfortunately. Because his name is so common - definitely 'Clarke' and I am pretty sure about 'Arthur' and 'Cecil' - I have not been able to learn anything more.

Sorry, two other things I know:

He was mentioned in despatches.

He ended the war as an acting-brigadier.

I found an A.C. Clarke, Royal Engineers, in the Army List 1940 where he was an Acting Captain having been commissioned Lieutenant 11th December 1939. The 1940 Army List is the last in my library.

There are two entries in the London Gazette for an Arthur Cecil Clarke but to the Royal Army Ordnance Corps http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36977/supplements/1366 & http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/34939/supplements/5396

I searched for Arthur Cecil Clarke from 1939 to 1945.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Arthur Cecil Clarke was my 'uncle Cecil' cousin of my father Eric John Keeler who is now deceased. He was indeed Harbour Master in Aukland. My mother kept in touch with his wife Lottie until Lottie died. I met Uncle Cecil for the last time when he was over in circa 1965. Although I have not seen this photo it is him.

Hubertgrove

Further to my earlier initial reply concerning Arthur Cecil Clarke.

As a bit of background information.

His father was also Arthur Clarke (maybe hence he was known as Cecil) and his mother was Lol (Laura) Keeler who was my grandfathers sister.

They were married circa 1906 . My uncle Cecil was one of two sons, the other being Sydney who died at an unknown age.

The Clarkes and the Keelers lived in the South East London around the Beckenham area.

My Grandfather also married a Clarke (Emma Louise).

At what year uncle Cecil was born I am unclear but I quess circa 1910.

He worked I believe before the WW2 for the London Port Authority, hence why he may have been at Dunkirk but rather as assistance to the BEF rather than being part of it.

We were never told that he was part of the BEF.

DJK

Hill Head, Fareham, Hampshire

Though I can't say for sure but after a bit of searching in the London Gazette I have come with this, which I think, is the officer in question. Having been a War Substantive Lieutenant-Colonel it is likely that he was a Temporary Colonel and perhaps an Acting Brigadier.

SUPPLEMENTARY RESERVE OF OFFICERS.

ROYAL ENGINEERS.

Transportation—The undermentioned to be Lts.

25th Sept. 1938:—

Arthur Cecil CLARKE.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/34558/pages/6198

CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS.

Transportation.

The undermentioned to be Lt.-Cols.:—

Lt. (War Subs. Lt.-Col.) A. C. CLARKE (77405),

26th Nov. 1948, with seniority 8th June 1944.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/38576/supplements/1645

Transportation Section.

Lt.-Col. A. C. CLARKE (77405) from Supp. Res. of

Offrs., to be Lt.-Col., 30th Nov. 1950, retaining his

present seniority and is granted the hon. rank of Col.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/39099/supplements/6440

The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to confer

the award of the Army Emergency Reserve Decoration

upon .the following officers:—

Lt.-Col. (Hon. Col.) A. C. CLARKE (77405).

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/40665/supplements/7303

REGULAR ARMY RESERVE OF OFFICERS.

Lt.-Col. (Hon. Col.) A. C. CLARKE, E.R.D.

(77405), 'having exceeded the age limit of liability

to recall, relinquishes his conamn., 7th' Mar. 1956,

retaining the hort. rank of Col.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/40724/supplements/1360

The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to

confer the award of the 1st Clasp to the Army

Emergency Reserve Decoration upon the following

officers:—

Lt.-Col. (Hon. Col.) A. C. CLARKE, E.R.D. (77405)

Retired

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/40817/supplements/3789

I just found this item in the Sydney Morning Herald of 27th September 1950 http://newspapers.nl...rticle/18175465 where he was appointed general manager of the Auckland Harbour Board from the Port of London Authority.

Stuart

Thank you very much for all your help and hard work. What you have found is very helpful. I will pass it on to my mother, his step-daughter.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Well very interesting to see all these replies.

Arthur C Clarke was my grandfather and he did indeed live in NZ where I still reside.

I have his commission to the army and his mention in despatches for his contribution to the mulberry habour construction.

My brother has a painting of the harbour inherited from my grand father after my Grandmother (Lottie known as Billie) passed away in Auckland 1998.

Granddad passed away in 1969, not long after his retirement from the harbourboard.

I still think of the fantastic things he built for me and my brothers and sister, and the times we visited the auckland harbour wharves, particularly at Xmas time.

I also still have many of his slides .... heaps of photos of boats!!

Had no idea about step daughter, so a bit of a surprise.

My mother, Margaret and auntie Sylvia were adopted by Arthur and Lottie when they were babies.

Margaret had five children all still in NZ, including myself. Auntie Sylvia has one child living in England.

There is loads of other things and memories, contact frogz12@clear.net.nz

Tracey

Hi Tracey - both of you are very welcome on GMIC. We have a lot of NZ members. The information you

provide will help to settle any mystery on this officer - do you know Hubert Grove who posted the original query.

I see that he gives London as place of residence - hopefully he will see your post and you will be able compare notes ?

Best wishes Mervyn

Hi Mervyn

Thanks for the welcome and it was a wonderful surprise to see someone doing research on Grandad.

I do not know Hubert grove and I was looking forward to a response.

By the way the photo is of my husband Joe and our daughter.

Hope Hubert can make contact.

Tracey