News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French miniature group opinions

RobW

To all,

Here is an interesting recent pickup of a group of French mini's, consisting of:

* Médaille Militaire, 3rd Republic, 1870-1951 type

* Croix du Guerre, 1939-1940 dated reverse

* Médaille de la Résistance

* Croix du Combattant Volontaire Resistance

* Croix du Combattant Volontaire 1914-1918

* Croix du Combattant

* Médaille des Blessés Militaire, 2nd Type

* Médaille Coloniale

What is interesting to me is that the Croix de Guerre 1939-1940 is a Vichy issue on a 1939 ribbon. Is it possible that someone who received a Vichy Croix de Guerre then subsequently joined the Resistance would still wear it at a later date ?

I would appreciate any and all thoughts and opinions on this group as it is an area I have little knowledge.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Unusual combination - impossible if complete entitlement??

The C de G is not on the Vichy ribbon (which was black and green), but on the French Republic ribbon and without emblem. Presumably he served 1939-40 with the French forces, in which case he should also have the WW2 commemorative (and presumably explains presence of military Valour Cross.

Unusual combination - impossible if complete entitlement??

The C de G is not on the Vichy ribbon (which was black and green), but on the French Republic ribbon and without emblem. Presumably he served 1939-40 with the French forces, in which case he should also have the WW2 commemorative (and presumably explains presence of military Valour Cross.

Hello Rich,

Thanks for the clarification. I had worked out that the CdG was not on the Vichy ribbon as I mentioned in the initial post. I just found it odd that it was a Vichy CdG on the normal ribbon.

You mention that it is an impossible group if complete entitlement. Other than the WW2 Commemorative medal what other awards would be considered correct? biggrin.gif

Regards,

Rob

Hello Tim and all,

Thanks for the re-direction. Something that always fascinates me about French awards is the multitude of manufacturers and variations that are to be found. It is certainly, as others have said, a large minefield to enter but then this is what also makes it so interesting. :D

It is a pity that such miniature groups are not attributed as I'm sure there would be a story to tell. Being primarily a vic collector I am seemingly forever being sidetracked when I come across French items and groups. The diversity catches the attention.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 year later...
    • 1 month later...

Resurrecting a very old topic .. I have this mini group. with the Cross of Combatant Vichy. I found it very interesting.

Hello Lambert,

What is also interesting about this group is that the unofficial 'La Medaille des Combattants de la Marne' is mounted at the front of the group.

This unofficial Marne medal was created in August 1937 so you would expect to see it mounted toward the end of the group next to the unofficial wound medal. The recipient obviously valued his service on the Marne.

An interesting miniature group with a story to tell no doubt.

Regards,

Rob