News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Metropolitan Police Coronation Medals

Your man is

William Wells who joined 10/07/1890 as a PC in K Division (Bow) with the Warrant Number 75972

He was pensioned, still serving as a PC in K Div 0n 10/03/1917 (retired medically unfit). He served his whole career in K Div.

You have his full entitlement to Police Medals

His full name was William John Wells. Born 26/11/1867 in Bexhill Sussex.

He was a blacksmith before he joined the force and he was single, living at Earl's Court.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

• 3 weeks later...

You're welcome

Note I have started another thread on Met Police Records:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/54100-metropolitan-police-service-records-mepo-4/

This gives information on where the records are (like those pages shown above). You can download them straight from the National Archives, Free of Charge, but if anyone wants the sheets for the odd Met Officer then I can provide them as I have the whole lot stored on my computer (Warrant Numbers 74201 - 97500).

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately as the 1911 Medals don't show the man's division it is sometimes difficult to identify the exact individual. For PC G Harvey there are two possible recipients.

The men are

Warrant Number 73547 George Harvey who joined 2/4/1888 as a PC in G Div (Finsbury) and left 4/12/1912 as a PC in 2nd Div (Portsmouth Dockyard) - he actually died whilst in the police service. His full entitlement is 1897 Jubilee, 1902 Coronation and 1911 Coronation - all earned at 2nd Div.

Warrant Number 74538 George Harvey who joined 10/6/1889 as a PC in D Div (Marylebone) and was pensioned as a PC in D Div 15/6/1914 - 25 years service. His full entitlement is 1897 Jubilee, 1902 Coronation and 1911 Coronation - all earned in D Div. I have found the service sheet for this man, his full name was George Newbury York Harvey born 18 July 1865 and was a labourer living in Gosport when he joined the Met.

• 2 months later...

This is the King George V Coronation Police Medal that belonged to my Grandad Benjamin Newton.http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-14396-0-09767900-1346161096.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-14396-0-63222500-1346161115.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-14396-0-49012300-1346161130.jpg

Hello JoyDean,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting a great family medal.

I trust this will be a keepsake to stay with your family for many more generations to treasure.

Do you have any photos of your Grandad, even in civilian clothing would make a great addition to your post.

Regards

Brian

Thank you. It is currently in my brother's possession and I really hope that it will be passed down and treasured.

I shall find photos and post them tomorrow, one of which will be Grandad in uniform in Penge High Street.

PS I don't know why I didn't put a space in my name!

Here is Grandad in police uniform.

He was one of a rare breed of coppers; he lived to be 100!

PS I'll see if I can change the name in my profile rather than changing the driver's licence and passport :)

Edited by JoyDean

Hello Joy,

Very nice photo, it really rounds out your initial post.

I would not worry about your name as other members have done the same thing.

Just sign off on your posts with the name you would like others to use and they will do so.

Regards

Brian

Thank you.

As I said that Grandad was one of a rare breed of coppers that lived to be 100, here is the proof: a newspaper report and a photograph that I took on his 100th birthday; yes, he was in hospital but one can see in the photo that his eyes were still alert.

Joy - I must also welcome you to our Forum. This is a wonderful historic photograph - and something

for the family to treasure. Post a picture of the Queen's telegram if you can - I for one, have never seen

an example.

The article says he retired in 1934 - that was two years before I was born !

Mervyn

Joy - I must also welcome you to our Forum. This is a wonderful historic photograph - and something

for the family to treasure. Post a picture of the Queen's telegram if you can - I for one, have never seen

an example.

The article says he retired in 1934 - that was two years before I was born !

Mervyn

Thank you.

Yes, I do treasure that photo.

Here is a copy of the Queen's telegram, the original of which was buried with Grandad.

He retired 13 years before I was born :)

• 6 years later...

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with records to a George Patten please?

From what I already know he joined up on the 13th March 1882, retiring on 18th March 1907 as an Inspector.

He was a Constable in N. Div., Sergeant in W. and  M. Div. (possibly station Sergeant), and Inspector in C. Div.

Many thanks,

Andy

Edited by AndyD