News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

REPUBLIC OF CONGO ( CONGO - BRAZZAVILLE ) ORDERS & MEDALS

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,here I will began the topic on the Republic of Congo (not Zaire),but the ex french colonie of Congo,also known as Congo Brazzaville (the name of the capital).

You can read for more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_the_Congo

The highest Order of the Republic of Congo is the Order of the Companions of the Revolution.

This Order has only been awarded twice. (Source : Nicolas de Roffignac )

As an illustration I have only a stamp to show (Source : A.Prieto)

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

The Order of Merit is the highest ranking Order (if we except the Order of Compagnon of the Revolution). The Order of Merit was created by decree N° 59/54 INT/AG from 25 February 1959. At the beginning the Order of Merit had only 3 grades (Knight Officer & Commander).A second decree N° 127/59 from 6 July 1959 institute a Grand Cross for exceptionnal merit and a Collar for the head of Government. Keep in mind that on july 1959 the Congo is still part of the Union Française and has not yet a President,but only a Prime Minister. A decree N° 59/239 from 27 Novembre 1959 establish the highest Order of Congo as the Legion of Honour (the french Legion of Honour).Keep in mind the Independence will only comes on 15 August 1960.The decree N° 59/226 from 31 October 1959 establish the shape of the insignia.

It is now a classic 5 Classes Order + Collar for the President who is Grand Master of the Order of Merit.

Here you can see the insignia of Grand Officer of the Order of Merit.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here a close up on a Knight insignia (reverse is blank). The size is exactly the same as the Commander & Grand Officer neck badge (just it is silvered metal instead of gilded metal).

Emmanuel

The second Order of the Republic of Congo is the Order of Devotion. It was instituted by decree N° 60/205 from 28 July 1960 (3 weeks prior to formal Independence from France). Despite being a 5 Classes Order,the higher classes are extremely rare,and the breast star is a rarity.

I just have a sketch to show ( Source : Symboles et Traditions N°43 ).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

In the year 1969 the Republic of Congo turn to be a marxist leninist regime after the coup d'etat of Marien Ngouabi,the flag of the country changed and also the center of the order of Devotion.

Read the following link to know more :http://en.wikipedia..../Marien_Ngouabi

These insignia ceased to have been awarded in the middle of the 90ies. Just Knight have been seen.

Nowday the flag of the Republic of Congo is the one the country had on the day of its Independence and nowday the Order of Devotion is return to its inistial shape.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

The Medal of Honouris a 3 classes award,instituted by decree N° 60/205 of 28 July 1960.Here you can see at left the Silver Medal & at right the Gold Medal (of course they are in silvered & gilded metal).

The Medal of Honour is awarded twice yearly,on 1st of May (Labour Day) and on 28 November ( National Day ). The ratio must be 70 % of Bronze Medal,25 % of Silver Medal & 5 % of Gold Medal.

The statutes state that the silver & the gold medal have to be worn with ribbon with rosette. I have never seen such ribbon.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

The Medal of Honour of Public Healthwas instituted by decree N° 64-204 from 16 June 1964. It is a 3 Classes medal for those who gave service for hygiene & child protection.

It is a very elegant medal with enameled suspension.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

It exist also a Medal of Honour of the Police,instituted by decree N° 61 - 130 from 27 June 1961

It is a single class award.A circular 30 millimeters medal.On obverse side an arm showing a shield surrounded in the upper part by word "REPUBLIQUE" and the bottom part "DU CONGO".The reverse bear the words " UNITE TRAVAIL PROGRES" on 3 lines ( Unity Work Progress ).

I'am pretty sure someone may have a picture,he's most welcome to post it here.

Emmanuel

On this picture you can see the current President of the Republic of Congo, Denis Sassou Nguesso. He's wearing the insignia of Grand Cross of the Order of Merit and the Collar of Grand Master.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

• 2 months later...

Here you can read the description of the awards of Congo Republic :

Order of Merit of Congo (Ordre du Merit Congolais)

National Order of Peace (we just know colour of sash)

Order of Devotaion (Ordre du Dévouement Congolais)

Order of the Honour Medal (the Honour Medal is a 3 Classes award)

Order of Unversitary Merit

Order of Agricultural Merit

Order of Sport Merit (watch next post)

Cross of Military Valour

Medal of Army Brotherhood

Medal of Honour of Train & Harbour

Medal of Honour of the Police

Medal of Honour of the Justice Profession ( ?? Prison Staff or Lawyers ??)

Medal of Honour of Civil Engeneering

Medal of Honour of Scientific & Technological Research

Medal of Honour for the Wounded ,Mutilated & Victims of Wars.

If anybody can help to found pictures,he's most welcome to post.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Today I found this picture of Order of Sport Merit (the article say Officer of the Order of Sport Merit)awarded on 13 june 2011 to Aziz Daouda (Technical Director of African Athletism Confederation).

http://azizdaouda.bl...-de-la-map.html

As the insignia is silvered,I can guess the Knight insignia is bronze,and the insignia of Commandor (if it exist) could be either gilded (with or without rosette) or suspended from the neck.

I hope you will appreciate my effort to found through the net,ever new information and pictures.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,despite we do not have yet pictures of the insignia,here read the link about the ceremony on 22 june 2011,when President Denis Sassou Nguesso awarded Grand Cross of National Order of Peace to General Sekouba Konate of Guinea (for the peacefull political transition in Guinea and the return to democracy).

http://africadefense...nal-de-la-paix/

If anybody has a better picture he's most welcome to post it here.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen,research never stops,and I finally found an awardd document I thought I would never have gotten

Order of Devotion of Congo Brazzaville : Grade Officer

Before being in duty in Brazaville Jean de Lopez had a long career in Indochina from the late 30ies till 1960. He remained in service in Independent Cambodia after 1953.

Emmanuel

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen, despite General Sekouba Konate from Guinea got a Grand Cross of the National Order of Peace of the Republic of Congo from the hand of Président Denis Sassou Nguesso, it seems that this National Order of Peace is a multi class award.

And now I can present you the 5th Class (reverse is blank).

Diameter : 36 millimeters

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

The Order of Sport Merit seems to be also a multi class award (certainly 3 : bronze,silver,gold).

Here I can present you a gold one (actually it's metal gilt with enamel).

You can compare the gilt one (1st Class ?) to the silvered one (2nd Class ?) awarded to Aziz Daouda.

In the center of the yellow enamel is a stylised seated woman holding the national motto : Unite - Travail - Progres (Unity-Work-Progress)

Diameter 40 millimeters & reverse is blank.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

And now the Agricultural Merit Order of Republic of Congo .

Again I can only guess this Order is a 3 classes award following thevfrench tradition of 3 classes for specific merit awards

So that one should be a 2nd Class.

Despite not in silver,but silvered metal,it's very beautifully made and the tree is hollow carved.

As often for modern african award,reverse is blank

Diameter : 40 millimeters.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68