News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LW Pilot Badges in Aluminum - Triple Crown

Staying on subject of my IMME badge, those collectors that have a collection with a variety of LW pilot badges, I'd ask this question:

What distinguishing features set apart a first pattern pilot badge from a second pattern? Im talking about general features that are shared across the different makers (confused...see below). Look at both Assmann or Juncker since these are the only real choices for this discussion.

First Pattern badges always have:

1) Both wings' leading edges are pronounced and detailed

2) The Bird's right wing closest to the body always has a set of three small feathers that are different in shape from the remaining feathers

3) Thinner wreaths

4) Thinner profiles to the eagles

5) A cut-out between the legs (although there are 1st patterns that don't have this, and some 2nd patterns that do)

6) Talons have balled feet (although this can be a stretch....it can be generally said that the talons are more detailed)

7) More hand finishing cuts

8)......

Fill in 8) or more with those characteristics you find between KNOWN first and second pattern LW eagles from the same maker but that show consistency across makers.

These same characteristics are found on my IMME aluminum badge when compared to the few known second pattern IMME pilot badges.

Edited by Steve K.

• 8 months later...

Hi Steve,

Likewise. I met several faces at the Chantilly Show, that now I can associate with names. As mostly happens... the BSing with 'comaraden' was the better part of the show.

I have tried to carefully read the discussion here, and follow the theme, as it curves around.

I like your badge. As we discussed at the show, I have yet to see a good aluminum reproduction of a Pilot Series Badge. The strike of your badge is solid. The finish looks convincing. The makermark matches my IMME P/O to a tee. And the hardware........... well .......... yes, the tubular diameter on the hinge looks larger than we are used to seeing on other (Juncker & Assmann) early Aluminum (and Buntmetal) badges. But so what! Either they used what was on the shelf, or maybe they even figured that with a larger radius hinge, there was more surface area to solder to. Who knows? But anyone who would condemn the rest of the positive attributes, merely because of the uncharacteristsic hinge, is, as you put it, not a 'skilled collector'.

I'll buy it if you ever sell!

Regards,

Mark

Bringing this back to the top for mmiller.......Here's the badge we discussed, let me know your thoughts.

It's always good meeting a fellow LW collector. Cheers, Steve

• 10 months later...

Thanks for posting the images Steve. The badge has (edit)- some potential. The matte silvery finish is EXACTLY what I would expect to see on an aluminum badge, as opposed to a mirror like shiny finish (the J2 on the other site). On the other hand, the hinge looks disproportionately large, as do the rivets. Not saying good or bad.... just observations. Is that a Juncker J1 eagle and wreath?

Question 1) What did it sell for?

Question 2) Wonder why the images were pulled down? By request of the purchaser?

Regards,

Mark

Edited by mmiller

Nesredep,

I'm glad you enjoyed.....

Mark,

Obviously the eagle is not even close to a J1...the wreath is very close to a J1 wreath but some details are different (that which can only be created by a different die). Hand-filed details are different....wing feather cut-outs on the back and the space between the legs is larger. Hinge does not bother me, since the other example has the same hinge. Rivits...well, not something I like to see. The lines on the back of the eagle are something that should be compared closely also......I'll compare them and other details when it arrives.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm very happy with this new addition! :jumping: Although there is some damage....rivits being repaired....the level of details and small variations in hand-filing all over the eagle have me convinced this is quality work. Thanks kindly to Detlev for bringing out such excellent pieces.

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve,

Enjoyed talking at the MAX. I can find no faults with the IMME. Comparisons with like badges are next to impossible, but everything I see, is exactly what I would expect to see. I'd like to see it in my collection, too!

Regards,

Mark

Edited by mmiller

Mark,

Likewise, I enjoyed our discussions. We'll need some "grain flavored refreshments" in ol' chantilly.

I'm comfortable with it too. I wanted to see if there was anyone with "bad feelings" about this type before we go further.

Kindest regards,

Steve

• 1 year later...

Is that a Juncker J1 eagle and wreath?

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

I'm bringing this back up because I noticed this badge in S. Previtera's book on combat badges. It states that the eagle is a Juncker eagle, and you questioned it here in the post above. Did you add the comment in Previtera's book that this is a Juncker eagle?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Is the badge in SP's book actually yours? Did you mail it to me, when Steve was in NOVA taking pictures, or did he shoot your badges seperately (which I tend to recall)? I did not write captions, per se, for the badges. I provided 'bullets' for mine, and thought I stayed away from specifics on any others, that I did not see firsthand. I know other people helped 'proof' the book. I am not 100% intimate with the all details & text. Did you check with Stephen? Maybe he has original notes.

Mark

Mark,

I'm bringing this back up because I noticed this badge in S. Previtera's book on combat badges. It states that the eagle is a Juncker eagle, and you questioned it here in the post above. Did you add the comment in Previtera's book that this is a Juncker eagle?

Thanks,

Steve

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. Stephen and I shot the photographs of my collection at two different shows, SOS and Chantilly. I thought I had made it clear to him concerning the IMME badges but the text states that the eagle for the IMME first pattern is a Juncker eagle...which it clearly is NOT. Then, on the second pattern IMME eagle, the text states that this eagle is unique in die construction, which it is clearly for both eagles BUT wasn't reflected in the text for the first pattern IMME. The text boxes were obviously switched or changed at some point. I know these things can happen. I was just surprised to see this mistake and that it took me so long to discover it.

Thanks much,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I had several collectors send stuff to my address for Steve to photograph. I didn't recall you being in that group, but could be wrong. I weighed and measured while Steve worked the shutter. After all the dust settled, I did provide comments about my badges, but I didn't recall info about any badges other than mine. (I could still be wrong....?)

My guess is that, as you indicate, maybe the captions were inverted during the process. I do agree with you, that the Aluminum eagle on the IMME Pilot, does not match with a J1 eagle.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. Stephen and I shot the photographs of my collection at two different shows, SOS and Chantilly. I thought I had made it clear to him concerning the IMME badges but the text states that the eagle for the IMME first pattern is a Juncker eagle...which it clearly is NOT. Then, on the second pattern IMME eagle, the text states that this eagle is unique in die construction, which it is clearly for both eagles BUT wasn't reflected in the text for the first pattern IMME. The text boxes were obviously switched or changed at some point. I know these things can happen. I was just surprised to see this mistake and that it took me so long to discover it.

Thanks much,

Steve