News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Americal Division - vietnam

Hi,

I am going to be doing a bit of research on the Americal Division in Vietnam in the near future... does anyone know if there is a divisional history of them to be had? Especially the 11th Inf Brigade?

A second question, in the introduction to Shelby Stanton's book "Rise and fall of an American army" it is said that he goes out of his way to show the great qualities and sacrifices of the American soldier... which he does. But for the Americal Divison he says many units (11th Brigade especially) were little more than badly trained, roving gangs of thugs. That kinda left me scratching my head... for every other unit he seems to put a positive spin on them, except the Americal?

Thirdly, Does anyone know where I can get a theater made Americal patch?

Thanky

Chris

Chris,

Can't help with the unit history or the patch, but might provide some insight on Stanton.

His whole personal history is a pack of lies; he served in Thailand, never in VN or Laos; his "wound" was from falling from a jeep; and the research for his books came from tons of material he stole over the years and had stored in his garage. The truth of Stanton is best told in a book called STOLEN VALOR by B.G. Burkett and Glenna Whitley ISBN 1-56530-284-2. So, considering his record, I wouldn't place a lot of weight on his evaluation of anything, except perhaps the bar girls of Thailand.

I would guess his opinion on the Americal was due to its involvement with the MyLai massacre, but by the late 60's the whole military was falling apart, not just them.

Stanton's pile of stolen documents did provide him the information for another of his books "Vietnam Order of Battle". It lists varying degrees of history for most of the units in Vietnam, and might be of help in your initial research.

Firemedals

Edited by FireMedals

The division history can be found on the website of the division veterans' organization: http://www.americal.org

A friend of mine was assigned to be Assistant Division Commander (Maneuver), and temporarily became also acting Commanding General, in 1970, after the My Lai incident had become public, the Peers Report had been delivered to GEN Westmoreland, and charged handed down against those involved in the massacre. Morale in the division was at its lowest point, given the effect of the incident, growing disenchantment with the war in general, and the Army's difficulties with discipline due to drug and alcohol abuse. He described to me having his .45 with a round chambered everywhere he went in the division CP due to fragging concerns.

The attack on 11th Brigade is probably motivated by My Lai. You can read what Lt. General Peers had to say about 11th Brigade CO Col. Henderson's conduct during and after My Lai here: http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/f.../Henderson.html

Tarnishing everyone who served in 11th Brigade before, during and after My Lai with the same brush as those involved in the massacre and cover-up seems unfair, and tarnishing the entire division as well. My understanding is that the 196th Infantry Brigade, for example, was pretty well regarded.

Tarnishing everyone who served in 11th Brigade before, during and after My Lai with the same brush as those involved in the massacre and cover-up seems unfair, and tarnishing the entire division as well. My understanding is that the 196th Infantry Brigade, for example, was pretty well regarded.