News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nepalese Army General ranks

achern

Gents,

I would like to share these top three Nepalese Army general ranks with you.

The Nepalese appear to have a number of super-general ranks held by one officer each, with some rather interesting symbols on the rank.

Lieutenant General (according to the Nepalese Army website). Note the two crossed Kukri in the wreath.

nepal-general.jpg

Chief of the Army Staff, or Pradhan Senapati, apparently a five-star rank equivalent to Field Marshal. Note the three crossed Kukri in the wreath.

nepal-marshal.jpg

King of Nepal, or Pradhan Senadhipati, held by the Commander-in-Chief of Nepal, translated loosely as Grand General, and is equivalent to a six-star rank. This example was allegedly made for King Birendra, but I have no proof. The wreath has been moved down one more level to encircle an arrow crossed with a rifle, and there is some sort of yellow embroidery in yet another wreath of which I do not know the significance.

nepal-king.jpg

Comments and additional information are most welcome.

-Alf

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

There’s an important distinction to make regarding the army in Nepal.

During the period when the army was under the direct control of the King of Nepal, it was known as the ‘Royal Nepalese Army’ (RNA). King Birendra was Field Marshal and Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Nepalese Army’. In addition, he was Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces (Atirathi or ‘Grand General’, essentially six-star rank).

Following the massacre of King Birendra and other members of the Royal Family on 1 June 2001 and the events which followed, an Act of the Nepalese parliament in 2006 enabled the conversion of the nation from a monarchy to a republic (the ‘Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal’) and curtailed royal power. At this time the national army was redesignated ‘Nepalese Army’ (NA). Since this time, the Supreme Commander-in-Chief (Paramadhipati) of the Nepalese Army is the President of Nepal.

I think the insignia shown above are all from the RNA period.

Dear Paul, Paul, and Paul,

Thank you all for your recent comments and insight on this topic.

In the meantime, I have managed to obtain several more of these interesting ranks and would like to share them with you all:

First, a modern Nepalese Army four-star general rank worn by the Chief of Staff. These have heavy brass devices pinned to the old-style epaulettes which are still stiffened with plastic cut outs inside, just like in the good old days.

And then, three sets of cloth ranks made by a Kathmandu tailor for the Royals: The late King Birendra, the late Prince Nirajan, and the late King Dipendra. All died in the royal massacre in 2001. Apparently, these ranks were ordered by the palace but never collected.

-achern

As for the first one, yes these are the rank slides for an officer holding the rank of General (4-star) who is appointed as Chief of the Army Staff (Pradhan Senapati). In this case, I believe the rank is still at 4-star level but is known as a ‘Chief General’. The distinction is the vertical sword over the crossed kukris, denoting a ‘supreme commander’.

I think I've got the basic General officer ranks sorted:

Brigadier-General / Sahayka Rathi / 1-star: a pair of crossed kukris within a rhododendron wreath.

Major-General / Upa Rathi / 2-star: a pair of crossed kukris within a rhododendron wreath, plus a moon.

Lieutenant-General / Rathi / 3-star: a pair of crossed kukris within a rhododendron wreath, plus a moon and a sun.

General / Maharathi / 4-star: a pair of crossed kukris within a rhododendron wreath, with the addition of a vertical sword over the kukris.

Chief General (Chief of the Army Staff) / Pradhan Senapati / 4-star: a pair of crossed kukris within a rhododendron wreath, with a vertical sword over the kukris, plus a moon and a sun.

In the post-2006 Nepal Army, a Brigadier-General, a Major-General and a Lieutenant-General wear gorget tabs of red felt with one, two and three gold stars respectively. A General and the Chief of the Army Staff wears gorget tabs of red felt with four gold stars.

The insignia with three kukris I’ve never seen before (maybe that’s a joint Service chief?). Also, I have in my collection a rank slide showing a pair of crossed kukris with sword within a wreath, plus a moon – a form of General intermediary between Maharathi and Chief of the Army Staff. Perhaps this is another ‘appointment’ rank for Deputy Chief of the Army Staff, or a joint Service deputy?

• 3 weeks later...