News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Artillerie .. Gunners in Uniform

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap... That´s a high number!

Leichte Mun.Kol.934.

Set-up 19.3.1917 through AOK 2

Replacement from Ers.Abt./Feldart.Rgt.62, later Ers.Feldart.Rgt.Jüterbog, later 2.Ers.Abt./Feldart.Rgt.16

Under command of 2.Army, later 7.Army, then I./Res.Feldart.Rgt.47

Hi ! this must be soldier of the 4th Field Artillery Guard Regiment from Potsdam .

His collar insignia are invisible ... but I'm pretty sure

best regards

Kornel

You know Kornel, you are probably right. Litzen hidden by mantel. I have no idea why I said Landwehr! The card was printed in Berlin; Robert wrote a long note

Edited by IrishGunner

Hufschmied of Munitions Kolonne 934

We've discussed this fellow before on GMIC...http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/41133-total-total-total-confusion/?hl=munitions#entry380548

(and I won the auction shortly after the discussion... ;) )

I guess they did not know if you have a horseshoe unside down... the luck runs out.... !

An ersatz pickelhaube... The reverse of the card is interesting also... Feldpost stempel for Luftschiffe Nr. 3.

I see Bartko-Reher marks on the back. A good source, but expensive! You can actually get items from them cheaper on Ebay.

Chip

I see Bartko-Reher marks on the back. A good source, but expensive! You can actually get items from them cheaper on Ebay.

Chip

Ahhh, my friend, I get all my cards on eBay... :whistle: Even my Ba-Re :cheers: (I actually wish they wouldn't mark on the back though... :rolleyes: )

...for the life of me, I don't understand why these Feld-Artillerie kanoniere have "white" patches on their should straps...

They're just for security purposes. Their commander may have just had they put them on for the photo or perhaps they were passing through a French town and didn't want the locals to ID their unit.

Chip

They're just for security purposes. Their commander may have just had they put them on for the photo or perhaps they were passing through a French town and didn't want the locals to ID their unit.

Chip

That's what I thought... First time I've seen it in a photo though.

I actually wish they wouldn't mark on the back though...

Yes, it is irritating, but fortunately, it's just pencil and will come off with a soft eraser. The problem is that many of the cards were originally written in pencil, so you have to be very careful.

Chip

Yes, it is irritating, but fortunately, it's just pencil and will come off with a soft eraser. The problem is that many of the cards were originally written in pencil, so you have to be very careful.

Chip

I'll just leave it... Irritating, but not worth the effort to take off.

First time I've seen it in a photo though.

It's not uncommon to see them in photos of infantry, especially on the earlier tunics. After 1917, the Bluse had a loop (Schlaufe) on the shoulder that was put there so that the shoulder strap could be folded in half or rolled and looped back through it, thus hiding the top of the strap and it's unit number.

Chip

Hello!

I also have a photo of that "hidden" shoulder strap.

Note you are wrong with the 3. I read 13 (Nr.13)

That makes sense, because there was the "Luftschiffer-Bataillon Brüssel" (consisted of Luftschiff-Trupps 13 and 15)

So the stamp means MAYBE : Feldtrupp der Luftschiffe Nr.13

The bataillon was dissolved in 1917. It was under command of the O.H.L.

Because of the Faustriemen, he belonged to the mounted artillerists. Normally he had to blacken his white leather...

Edited by The Prussian

Hello!

I also have a photo of that "hidden" shoulder strap.

Note you are wrong with the 3. I read 13 (Nr.13)

That makes sense, because there was the "Luftschiffer-Bataillon Brüssel" (consisted of Luftschiff-Trupps 13 and 15)

So the stamp means MAYBE : Feldtrupp der Luftschiffe Nr.13

The bataillon was dissolved in 1917. It was under command of the O.H.L.

Andy... Good eye! Now that you say it, I see the "13" in the stempel. The kanonier in the picture has a difficult to read shoulder strap...I can see the bomb, but what's underneath is too blurry. I wonder if Luftschiffer-Bataillon Brüssel had anything to do with artillery observation...

I don´t know exactly, but by chance I just wait for a book about the Generalgouvernment Belgien. It should arrive until saturday. Maybe I can find something in it.

H ewears a o7/10 tunic, so he wears the grey shoulder straps. That´s ok. The red ones came later witht he 15 Bluse

Well, I have to leave right now, off to work with me... :angry:

Edited by The Prussian

This is a very interesting topic gentlemen! Sorry I can't help with extra period pictures... but I do have a tunic from Ostfriesisches Feld-Artillerie-Regt. Nr.62

(Oldenburg-Osnabrück)...

Sorry for the old (and a bit blurry) pictures...

Adler 1

jc8l.jpg

5awo.jpg